Speed Awareness Course

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to do one quite a few years ago, it was after work and I had to drive like the devil to get there in time, it didn't work though, I got clocked again on the M3 at about 2am doing 76 in the temporary 50 zone (I hadn't realized the camera's that they had just installed had gone live)..... I was thinking about requesting a refund as the course didn't work!

Not done one, been lucky I guess, but it strikes me as a sensible idea. Sadly they are not run by the Police or the Courts. There are a few private companies, at least one of them set up by a former senior police officer, making significant money from delivering them. I would rather see them run by the public sector with the profits/surplus put to good use.

They are a good thing.
Having also done one of these courses on zoom after being caught by a camera van on a popular rural rat run, I would recommend it. Very non judgemental, a useful refresher, and the key take away for me was realising how very little time you save in a journey by driving faster.
It has improved my speed awareness and driving slower means less time checking the speedo and more time reading the road as it should be.

your car speedometer is not that accurate and is allowed a tolerance s
I think the modern digital speedometer is both more accurate and linear compared to the analogue ones of the past that were cable driven but they will have a specification that states the accuracy and if at 40 mph it could show 42 mph then you cannot be accountable. Going back to the analogue clocks they were pretty precise at 30 mph but get up to 70 plus and the non linearity came into play, hence why you heard people claiming there old cortina could do 80 mph.

Also tyre pressures will play a part and for those who have non standard wheels and tyres this will also have an effect.

The UK accepted EU legislation concerning road vehicle speedometer accuracy. It has already been stated the a speedometer must not show a reading below the vehicle true speed but is permitted to display a reading that is 10% + 10 Km/h [6.25mph] above the displayed speed.

I did one last winter. Not patronising at all.
36 in a 30 - approaching a 40.
What miffed me of is when I checked the photo that had been taken, the car was stationary.

The police and speed officers use the rule of speed + 2% + 2mph. All measuring instruments have a error which has to be factored in to the reading. Your speedo is designed to read high to remove any likelihood of doubt near the limit.
I drive using the adjusted speeds and knowing that my speedo reads high. I'm 70 and never been 'caught'. Think less about speed and more about driving to the road conditions.

Cyclist rarely hit 20 and even if they did they are a hazard to themselves more than anyone else.
I don't think that is completely true now days with these tweaked electric push bikes, I regularly see and follow push bikes and scooters that are keeping up with me doing the speed limit on the way to and from work, no crash helmet or number plates. I was sitting behind one of those scooters yesterday morning doing 25mph and she was using the pavement as well at that speed.

@dizjasta

The chap sitting next to me got done going 42 in a 40 mph zone
I'll correct that for you.
The chap sitting next to me SAID he got done for doing 42 in a 40.

Quick question for you guys, if you are on a motorway, doing 70, and decide you absolutely MUST get to your destination 15 minutes quicker, how many miles must you do at 80 to make up that 15 minutes? Think about it for a moment before continuing to read this.

The answer is - London to Cardiff. 150 miles. That extra speed makes so little difference, yet if you are in a collision the speed you would be doing at the point you would have stopped at at 70mph is still 39mph.
The maths is that 1 mile at 80 is 6 seconds quicker than one mile at 70. 10 miles = 1 minute saved.

I once hit 50mph but that was coming down Mont Ventoux a few years ago, on a Dawes Galaxy. Hadn't even shaved my legs!
It was an iconic occasion hence the speed check.
Getting up there was a bit slower.
That wasn't you, was it, that overtook me in my motorhome descending Ventoux? :ROFLMAO: I once hit 40mph into a local roundabout (A40), BUT, didn't make it all the way round - smacked into the kerb & smashed my front wheel, but walked away with a bitten tongue! (mine)

That wasn't you, was it, that overtook me in my motorhome descending Ventoux? :ROFLMAO:
No I wouldn't have dared. North side there are long wide straights in between the hairpin bends and there was no traffic at all and a clear view. Was in a bit of a hurry as it was cold at the top!

I went on one and found it useful. Biggest take away was how little difference is made to overall journey times by pushing over limits. We need to think a bit more about the risks we present to other people when we are driving.

Got done for 35 in a 30 mph. First time I've been caught in 48 years.

The 30+10%+2 is just a guideline defined ACPO (as they were called)

They can issues tickets at 31mph if the want. However I guess they prefer slam dunk prosecutions.

The main advantage of the speed awareness is the reeducation about speed limits where there are no signs.
Already forgotten it again though!

The main advantage of the speed awareness is the reeducation about speed limits where there are no signs.
Already forgotten it again though!
ISTR: If there are no signs AND no street lights then the limit is 60

I wonder how they make these charges stick ie 42 in a 40. your car speedometer is not that accurate and is allowed a tolerance so it may show you are doing 40 but in reality youre not but how do you know??? and surely its not really safe if you are concentrating on your speedo all the time rather than the road ahead
I remember a long time ago I was told that motorway emergency phones are set a mile apart ( but can't remember if that applies to phones on the same side of the carriageway or on opposing sides). So when I changed cars I would check the second hand on my watch as I passed a phone, then maintain 60mph until the next phone, and check again. If I passed the second phone at exactly 1 minute then my speedo was right.
Most of the time my speeds were reading fast as I took just over a minute between phones.
With cruise control and timers on mobiles (held by a passenger obviously), this should be easy to check.
I think most car manufacturers set the speedo up to read fast so drivers can't sue them for speeding tickets.

Had to go on a 'speed awareness course' - I got caught in a speed trap doing 36 in a 30 mph area.

Cost £90, but will not get points on licence or need to declare to insurance unless asked.
The course is mostly sitting and listening, no test -- was asked to make notes for my own benefit.
About 2.5 hours
First offence since I started driving 60 years ago.
Snap.....I received a police letter yesterday.... doing 36mph in a 30 !
No driving offences in 45 years driving.
Just debating whether to pay the fine and get points, or do a course and feel very patronised.

The road in question was mentioned in a recent local news item.........

''Police said......Monitoring in Tregolls Road in Truro had more than 17,000 activations in just over a year, the force added.
For both sites, nearly 2,400 fixed penalty notices have been issued and 230 drivers sent directly to court.''

Back