Sorry...another kitchen build. 99% finished.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work, you make it look easy! Enjoy your holiday. If you go to edit your first post and edit the title there it should stick.

Nice work fella. The finish looks really good. It has inspired me to persevere with a kitchen. After I have finished my futon build. Just have a couple of questions

1. Couldn't see how you attached the drawer fronts to the drawers. Was it just titebond? The way my fiancé slams cupboards I wander if glue is enough.
2. Also what primer did you use? Morrells?
3. I wouldn't mind taking a stab at lacquering process my self. Is there any type of gravity fed sprayer that you can recommend?

Alan

Please go for it Alan it will make you feel very proud and accomplished.

1. Drawer fronts are screwed through the drawer boxes into the drawer panel. Four screws into the Stiles. Set the drawer on the runners, pre drill holes in drawer box front and place on drawer front with your margins set, lean over and into cabinet and screw. No glue required.
2. I'm a sucker for Morrells and always use their primer, just think it's best as they work well together. Neither primer or lacquer require thinning.
3. I use their own system ST1 three stage HVLP system, great set up. There are other branded versions of it out there, I believe Dulux do it as well. I spray primer, fill where required and sand. Primer again and two top coats. Both sides of doors etc. End panels and the like, just the face.

GO FOR IT!!!

Sorry another question. What did you use to ensure the inset doors remain flush with the FF when closed I.e how did you prevent the door from going inwards.

Great job as usual James.

Shame about the Non integrated appliances they spoil the look a bit.

I like the under cloak detail, a lot of so called high end kitchen company's wouldn't do that. They leave unfinished so people have something ugly to look at whilst sat down in the kitchen lol.

What do you keep in your 3 drawer sortainer ? I picked one up the other week thinking it would come in handy but haven't got round to filling it yet.

Enjoy your hols

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Cheers Chris

Yes I know, cost was nothing in it with two extra doors. They couldn't find decent energy rated integrated ones without spending a fortune. Love the under cloaks, simple, easy and inexpensive

Had the 3 drawer for about 6 months or so and under use it!!! Take it on every job, by it's not fully full, so far...pocket hole screws, screws, red brown plugs, plastic packers, sanding pad, pencils/markers, space plugs and more room to fill :)

That's a nice looking kitchen :D
Appliance manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot by charging more for built in stuff.

What size go do you leave between face frame and door?

mahomo59":52nxrgtb said:
Cheers Chris

Yes I know, cost was nothing in it with two extra doors. They couldn't find decent energy rated integrated ones without spending a fortune. Love the under cloaks, simple, easy and inexpensive

Had the 3 drawer for about 6 months or so and under use it!!! Take it on every job, by it's not fully full, so far...pocket hole screws, screws, red brown plugs, plastic packers, sanding pad, pencils/markers, space plugs and more room to fill :)
Sounds like what I will be sticking in mine. I did think of whacking all my pin guns in it. But some sort of fitting kit will make sense.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

No skills":20myv2b0 said:
That's a nice looking kitchen :D
Appliance manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot by charging more for built in stuff.

What size go do you leave between face frame and door?

Shoot the doors into face frame using black plastic packer from the multi coloured pack of different sizes.

Great job James, really top notch!

Can I ask where you got the pre-lacquered maple from for the boxes? I'm trying to decide between doing that or using Blum Tandembox. Still need to find a reasonable price on Blum drawers.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about the lacquered birch ply at Avon Plywood. I'm just starting my first kitchen build, doing the carcasses as we speak.

Cheers
Dave

I bought the Maple from Robbins PAR and made on Leigh jg, then sprayed.

Pre lacquered from Avonplywood nice kit :)

Hi

A very nice job and thanks for all the piccies.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

- you mention that your painting system is two coats of primer and two topcoats, of which the final one is handpainted. How do you find using the Morrells paint for hand painting? (It seems very thin for brushing). Presumably this is applied after installation?

- what sheen level is the Morrells topcoat you have used? (I think the minimum used to be 20% which I find a bit too glossy, but they now seem to do 10% I think.

- Finally what is the bin system you have installed?

(OK, three or four questions!)

Cheers

Hello...

Brush coat is applied on first top coat. Spray with gun and then brush while wet, leave to dry and spray final coat. 20% is what I use. Don't brush internals (backs of door)
Morrells if I remember go down to 0 if not 0 then definitely 10.
Bin unit is from LDLONLINE, based on Blum system. Next one I do will be in a regular drawer box, with no base and ledgers at the top spaced to carry bins.

Hope this helps

James

mahomo59":3jjfhaeo said:
Hello...

Brush coat is applied on first top coat. Spray with gun and then brush while wet, leave to dry and spray final coat. 20% is what I use. Don't brush internals (backs of door)
Morrells if I remember go down to 0 if not 0 then definitely 10.

That's very interesting and helpful James - thanks.

I am sure that the brush coat adds depth to the finished look of the colour - I will try your technique some time.

Cheers

mahomo59":1f8xi93r said:

James, in this photo, is the plinth foot just on the base panel or is it positioned up to the edge of the vertical side panel? Hope that makes sense, I'm just wondering if the side panel needs supporting by the foot? I guess in this case the face frame supports it as well but I'm doing a kitchen without face frames.

Thanks again for posting the thread.

Dave

Back