Sorby ProEdge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random Orbital Bob":lob6u40f said:
Just out of interest, does anyone know what grit ranges the Makita belt sander Jacob posted has available? I have one but only ever use it as a rough "1st grade" tool to remove saw marks etc or the odd lip if a glue up hasn't gone quite flush. I always finish with finer grit papers on a random orbital and/or plane/scrape so I'm pretty sure I've only ever bought 60 grit for my Makita. Cant imagine there's a Trizact type finessing belt for a monster like that is there?
I only use coarse grits 100 ish for grinding and then hone by hand on a stone.
I tried Trizact fine belt on my proedge but it seems to heat - just a fine dark line behind the edge. Seemed pointless as a hand honed edge is cold, quick and easy, and in any case you need to turn it over to remove the burr, which you can't do with a belt grinder/linisher.
For powered fine honing I think you really need a wet stone to avoid heating.

Spindle":g97uxydl said:
Hi

Yes - I'm aware that the tool edge temperature will be slightly affected but in the case of high speed steel, it's not really a consideration, (and probably not so in carbon steel either).

My issue with the belt direction is more driven by the potential to catch or, dare I suggest, form convex bevels

Regards Mick

What do you use for your sharpening Mick?

Random Orbital Bob":uz731v2o said:
What do you use for your sharpening Mick?

Hi

I use a Tormek for routine sharpening.

I have modified a RP 8" grinder to run backwards and accept the Tormek jigs for re-profiling.

Regards Mick

Unfortunately no - shows are a bit thin on the ground up here

My comments are based on a career in engineering

Regards Mick

Then think as an engineer of a small linisher configured to give maximum convenience and ease of jig adjustment, as with any attempts to produce an all encompassing tool it does not quite achieve perfection but it comes within a near miss of such and with a few tweaks to meet personal needs it can be a very convenient and satisfying tool to use.

A darn expensive one though and to anyone just entering the hobby on a limited budget I'd say they can have many hours of enjoyment for their money using a standard grinder.

I use a B&D sander to sharpen my tools and like the Sorby the belt runs downwards. Getting a face full of grinding dust and sparks by trying to run it in the wrong direction doesn't really appeal to me. I should add that I sharpen both metal working and wood working tools on mine and the thought of trying to hold small tooling on the table whilst the belt is trying to lift it out of my hands also doesn't appeal. I also use the disc on my machine as well and once again I use the left hand side of the disc that is running downwards. Apart from the thousands of (presumably) happy ProEdge users out there, there are also very many folks around the world that run "belt grinders" to profile knife blades and these machines run downwards as well.

Spindle":30ebl3uc said:
My issue with the belt direction is more driven by the potential to catch or, dare I suggest, Regards Mick

I've never had a catch Mick or even been close to one, the machine does exactly the job it was designed to do - if it ain't broke, why "fix" it? If you ever get to try one I think you might change your mind.

Sharpening a chisel is so quick it's unreal though mine is used mainly for lathe tools which need regularly touching up.

Bob

I've never had a catch either and I've never heard of anyone else getting one....it's a theoretical only problem.

Like Mick, I'm also a Tormek owner, and they're expensive, way more than a Pro edge. I wrestled for some time justifying why I should buy yet another sharpening system when I already had the "Rolls Royce". One has a tendency to exaggerate potential problems and minimise potential solutions when one is clinging to the view that it's the best and only thing needed. I probably waited 2 years before I finally took the plunge, but having done so, it's virtually made the Tormek redundant, it's that much faster and less complex to use. The fact is that the Pro edge, for wood turners is a superior technology to wheel based systems because the design of the jig setting method is more efficient, coupled with the flexibility to use a wide range of abrasives as the grinding medium. I absolutely accept there is a theoretical risk of over heating, but again, in practice, it doesn't happen.

For my own situation, my primary goal in pursuit of a decent edge, is minimum fuss with the setup. To that end I've never replaced anything, they just become permanently setup with a dedicated grind which is one they do well. That way I have minimum setup time. My bench grinder does scrapers, the Tormek my fingernail grind on bowl and spindle gouges and the PE everything else including any/all shaping activity.

But for sure I've "let go" of the notion the Tormek is the best thing since sliced bread and for all new turners joining our club, we unanimously recommend the PE if budget allows. The PE gets brought to all club meets where turning takes place and any public open days because its simpler, faster, easier. No brainer really :)

Latest posts

Back