sorby plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Just visited a small wednesday market and found two small wooden planes. About 6 inch long, 3 wide.
One of them had an I. Sorby iron. No makers name on the plane, just an owners name stamped in.

Overall condition quite good, but one of the side wedge holders was breaking away from the main body. Someone obviously hit the wedge too hard.

I didnt buy it, one because I dont use them, and two because he wanted 15 euros for it. But interesting to see as I have only just heard that name mentioned here for the first time quite recently.

For quite a long time, the toolmakers of Sheffield exported their products all round the world.

I suspect this was bought out from england specifically for the markets.

When I found the big edward preston plane last year the guy had a half dozen (mainly way beyond restoration, parts missing, etc) and he told me he had bought a job lot of carpentry tools from an auction in Lincolnshire, sight unseen and shipped them to Cyprus just for his stall.
But this one was in very good nick compared to anything else I've seen.

sunnybob":1oz0qslu said:
Overall condition quite good, but one of the side wedge holders was breaking away from the main body. Someone obviously hit the wedge too hard.
It's a weak point in these planes, they often fail there.

Just in case you're ever tempted by a coffin smoother, that kind of damage can be stabilized and the plane can work perfectly afterwards. If the crack is recent and dead clean inside you can use glue only and it'll probably be fine, but for added security it's worth the trouble to pin it or use a screw. If a visible screw head offends you can lightly countersink the hole (or do no countersink at all) so the head will sit high or proud, then file down. Leaves just a round brass dot which is very attractive I think.

I like to look at old tools (including planes), but have no desire to refurbish or even use them.
I'm very much a power ranger kind of guy.

Latest posts

Back