Jones the Coachbuilder from Colwyn, his old saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard C-D

Established Member
Reaction score
Many of us have old tools with previous owners names stamped on them. I've sometimes wondered who they were, where and when they used them. This old Moulson Brothers tenon saw answers this as the proud owner wrote his details on it (H P Jones Coachbuilder Old Colwyn) Is this a one off or do others have marked tools with more than just the name. It would be nice to find out more about H P Jones or even pass it on to his decedents .

On a similar note would a famous name on a tool make it more valuable. A plane was listed on eBay recently stamped "Alan Peters" with a price about 10 times the usual selling price. I'd quite like a "S Barnsley" chisel but not at any price. Any one got any famous previous owners tools?

DSCF8744.JPG

DSCF8747.JPG

love the saw and inscription

(recently somewhere was selling off tools with the Savage provenance, likewise a Scandi maker) but I'd go for your saw

I have a toolbox and tools from Workshop No. 3 Herriot Watt College does that count? It sbeen a uni since '66. I assume it was for a trade course, its all stamped and the contents list is still in the box. I'm sure a few students used it before long careers.

Fairly generic wooden planes but a very nice Groves tenonsaw

Lots of wooden planes were stamped with owners names & last year i picked up a fine moore & wright engineers scraper with the name G Clinton engraved into it.

Back