Researching C. Bayfield Infill Planemaker of Nottingham, England.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

workshopted

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some questions for the community:

1. I'm trying to do some research on a certain Mr. C. Bayfield; a Nottingham man who made the most wonderful rebate, chariot, smoothing, and jointer planes around about 1881 - 1910?..... I have two of his infill jointer planes, both planes are 20 3/8'' in length, and the front buns have little boxwood strike button inserts.

I can find very little information on the internet or in the Jane Rees British Plane Makers 4 book about this highly talented son of Nottingham and I would be extremely grateful for any help in finding out more about him... UK Ancestry site access anyone?

PS: One little snippet of information that has turned up (courtesy of TATHS member, Robert Leach of Old Hand Tools) is that the building where he worked his trade is still in existence and the owner himself is a collector of Bayfield planes.

2. Mr. H. Bleeze, the previous owner of the plane was obviously very proud of it - note the remarkable owner's name stamp in one of the pics (the stamp is on both sides of the cast body.

Again, does anyone have access to UK Ancestry or some similar website who could look up the name H. Bleeze for me? The surname is an uncommon one, and the very high probability that he was a woodworker of some kind should help with any search.

Toodle pip,
Ted.

Attachments

• DSCN0138.JPG
    DSCN0138.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0133.JPG
    DSCN0133.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN0142.JPG
    DSCN0142.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 55
  • h bleeze.PNG
    h bleeze.PNG
    977 KB · Views: 54
I must have missed this thread back in May. It is a very nice plane with nice sleek lines. Not so boxy as most infills. Sorry I can't help with the history of Bayfield planes as this the first I have heard of them. You could perhaps ask you'r local family history society for help. They often help people get started searching at libraries so that may be where to track them down.
Regards
John

Hey up there Ted, well I was up the same creek but without a plane until recently.....
Nothing extra I know of but all being well in September I'll talk to David who collects them and see if he has any other snippets of information.
Here's my poorly example... (bottom)
Cheers Andy
IMG_20210213_102258.jpg
IMG_20210206_120835.jpg

IMG_20210213_102421.jpg

I must have missed this thread back in May. It is a very nice plane with nice sleek lines. Not so boxy as most infills. Sorry I can't help with the history of Bayfield planes as this the first I have heard of them. You could perhaps ask you'r local family history society for help. They often help people get started searching at libraries so that may be where to track them down.
Regards
John
Hi, John, many thanks for your response to the post, my friend... I don't feel quite so lonely now.

Hey up there Ted, well I was up the same creek but without a plane until recently.....
Nothing extra I know of but all being well in September I'll talk to David who collects them and see if he has any other snippets of information.
Here's my poorly example... (bottom)
Cheers Andy View attachment 116428View attachment 116429
View attachment 116427
Many thanks, Andy. Here is some information that our mutual friend Andy Tuckwell sent me some time ago (he's a real wizard at finding such things.
I quote:

Ted, sitting indoors on this lovely sunny day, I have had a look for your Nottingham planemaker. This fellow fits - the attached images confirm the details.

Born to Norfolk farmers in 1851, he's working in Norfolk as a carpenter by 1871. By 1881 he's moved to Nottingham, married Emeline and is working as a joiner, living in Alfreton Road.
By 1891 he's a 40 year old widower. Still a joiner, he's moved to 3 Caroline Street, Nottingham with his sister Matilda, 30 and niece, also called Matilda, 21.
He stays at that address for the rest of his life, listed in successive directories, either just as the householder or as a joiner.
By 1901 the sister and niece have gone but new wife Harriett Kirkland, a Nottingham machinist is there. They have no children.

He died in 1923 leaving £2147 13s 11d to his unmarried sister, Christiana Bayfield. I can't find any record of Harriett's death but presumably she pre-deceased him leaving the sister as next of kin.

Caroline Street was central and conveniently close to a Timber yard. The area has all been flattened and redeveloped and the Sycamore Academy now occupies the land.

The name is right, the place is right and the dates fit. I can't find another Bayfield in Nottingham who does.

Many thanks, Andy. Here is some information that our mutual friend Andy Tuckwell sent me some time ago (he's a real wizard at finding such things.
I quote:

Ted, sitting indoors on this lovely sunny day, I have had a look for your Nottingham planemaker. This fellow fits - the attached images confirm the details.

Born to Norfolk farmers in 1851, he's working in Norfolk as a carpenter by 1871. By 1881 he's moved to Nottingham, married Emeline and is working as a joiner, living in Alfreton Road.
By 1891 he's a 40 year old widower. Still a joiner, he's moved to 3 Caroline Street, Nottingham with his sister Matilda, 30 and niece, also called Matilda, 21.
He stays at that address for the rest of his life, listed in successive directories, either just as the householder or as a joiner.
By 1901 the sister and niece have gone but new wife Harriett Kirkland, a Nottingham machinist is there. They have no children.

He died in 1923 leaving £2147 13s 11d to his unmarried sister, Christiana Bayfield. I can't find any record of Harriett's death but presumably she pre-deceased him leaving the sister as next of kin.

Caroline Street was central and conveniently close to a Timber yard. The area has all been flattened and redeveloped and the Sycamore Academy now occupies the land.

The name is right, the place is right and the dates fit. I can't find another Bayfield in Nottingham who does.

Back