Someone should do this....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oryxdesign

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking that someone should do something along these lines
http://www1.snapon.com/franchise/tourTheMobileStore.nws for a while.
As an ex mechanic (many moons ago) I used to have several tool dealers visit me every week showing off their wares, I now work out of a commercial premises on an industrial estate that has several joinery firms on it and we never see anyone.

Woodworking equipment is far larger and more expensive than spanners etc, so stocking a large vehicle with a diverse range would be extremely expensive, especially if it included festool :D . Snap-on only sell one product.

As a guess in any large town there are far more mechanics than woodworkers so they would need to cover a very large sales area.

Then we have the internet, it is so easy to order and get delivery the following day, I think this competition is too great for some one to make money with a van.

CNC Paul":21tzdqp2 said:
Woodworking equipment is far larger and more expensive than spanners etc

I think you may not have bought a set of Snap On spanners for some time!
I think Snap On dealers do OK but they do have to buy in to a franchise. I was more thinking of a quality hand tool dealer.

matt":rw7szutl said:
I had an uncle who had a Snap-On concession many many many years ago. I seem to recall that it was a lot of effort for not a lot of return.

One of the ones local to me just bought a winneebago type contraption and replaced his nice audi with an S4 estate - so it would be a fair bet to say he's doing very well. From a financial perpsective, I've yet to see a poor (or even average) snap on dealer.

I made enquiries about 2 years ago and i was looking at minimum investment of £18 grand just to start up, ideally the area manager that came to see me said that £35-40k would make the first year a bit easier to build up! :?

Funnily enough they never metioned that before despite many phone calls and emails.

Joe

Oryxdesign":3bl5mtd3 said:
CNC Paul":3bl5mtd3 said:
Woodworking equipment is far larger and more expensive than spanners etc

I think you may not have bought a set of Snap On spanners for some time!
I think Snap On dealers do OK but they do have to buy in to a franchise. I was more thinking of a quality hand tool dealer.

I do have some Snap-on stuff, the guy I got my stuff from bought a franchise for a given area, some years latter they reduced his areas to squeeze another franchise in. I still feel a quality hand tool dealer in a van would find it hard to make a living especially if he has to go through an importer. What do you stock Veritas, Clifton, L Neilson, Bridgewood, ECU or Holtey. we all have our personal choice ......Snap-on only sell one make of spanners.

I still like the idea , but I feel they would struggle.

CNC Paul":2vt4f7gm said:
[ What do you stock Veritas, Clifton, L Neilson, Bridgewood, ECU or Holtey. we all have our personal choice ......Snap-on only sell one make of spanners.

I still like the idea , but I feel they would struggle.

Surely that's the same for any tool shop, folks will buy from you because of the personal and expert advice. I believe there is added value in the after sales service that could provided. I don't think it would be necessary to carry loads of stock just enough to demonstrate and if you pick carefully people will buy what you are enthusiastic about. Most tool shop do not demonstrate especially not on demand. Personally I'm prepared to pay a little more for a better service especially on my doorstep.

I think it's a great idea. A mini-mobile-Axminster !

I am pretty sure that Brad only bought his Domino because the sale rep came into his shop with one and showed him what it could do.

It needn't be limited to handtools - Fein Multimaster is another of those niche products which I think would be a good seller.

The outlay needn't be that great either. Good tools will always sell. And if you offer the extra customer service, all the better.

Cheers

Karl

This is an extremely feasible idea, I run a garage and we have a tool man come round fortnightly.

He is completely independent, deals with most imaginable tool manufacturers and does very well indeed.

He keeps stock of some brands to replace breakages etc, but most thigs are ordered in and he delivers once a week.

Just imagine a van coming round, taking your tool and consumable orders, maybe stocking screws, biscuits, doms, glue, screwdriver bits etc, a display of different clamps, stock of plane blades etc.

And then all the necessary catalogues for the customer to peruse, ie Veritas, Festool, Bosch, etc, etc, etc.

This is actually NOT a crackpot idea!

Convincing myself aren't I!!!!! :D

Apples & Oranges really many mechanics have hand tools with a replacement value in excess of £20.000 in their box fuelled by constantly
needing job specific tools and new fixings to keep up thats what keeps the Snap-On man going. How many people reading this forum have a full set of Ribes? Besides Mike Garnham would go into meltdown with people touting shiney stuff door to door.

I think in the olden days there was a company called Preston (or similar I beleive) that went round workshops. Guys would pay in a bit of their wages each week/month and buy a new tool when they had saved up enough.

There is a company called Macc Tools (a quick Google shows they have no web presence) who sell some pretty smart workshop equipment such as steps, ladders, trestles, tool boxes, van boxes etc etc. All looks like really good kit if rather expensive!! I've never yet bought any of it but the guy comes round once a year in his van showing off his stuff. Same idea I guess.

Probably has some legs I would think.

Cheers,

Richard

We get traveller's coming around selling fake tools if that counts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Needless to say they get told where to go.

I remmember seeing the old Snap on trucks, they give a lifetime waranty with all their stuff I think.

Back