Some Newbie Help - Ringbox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're willing to spend a few quid, then I'd say Neil is spot on with the Irwin saw. As he says, cuts on the pull stroke, don't force it, let the saw do the work, if you are fairly intuitive you'll get a good idea fairly quickly. Don't drag it let the teeth work, they will be very sharp new and put no pressure on the push stroke. Just guide the saw. If you feel it gripping or the sound changes you're working it too hard. Might sound daft but I find if I remember to breathe regularly it helps slow me down, sounds daft but it's a good measure of concentration. You're looking for relaxed and fluid. Fast and Furious will do you no favours. Bit like a Vin Diesel movie you might need a few attempts. Might still turn out a bit rubbish 6 times down the line. ;)

I wouldn't buy a vice at this stage.

If you have a little scrap wood I'd improvise a type of bench hook. You can make a servicable 'clamp' that will serve just by screwing some larger bits of wood to the top plane/part and fit your Bobbin inside if you think outside the box. Wont grip like a vice but it will be enough to get away with it. All you need is enough to stop it moving about while you work. Really you just need to stop it rolling away. You just made your first Jig. :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_hook
Crack on. We want photos next.

I'd go for the smaller version, it's maybe more what you need to start, and its actually cheaper on screwfix than amazon. I checked earlier. ;) few pennies cheaper here: https://www.manomano.co.uk/wood-saws-17 ... 0wodLXkBjA
I'd go with screwfix personally.
Smaller saw should be easier to use for what you need.
Not trying to be Charlie Big Potatoes or come across as the expert, just know what it's like starting out. Worse thing you can do is worry to much. Just crack on mate. It'll work one way or the other. :D You'll be fine. The worst thing you can do is not try.

You haven't come across as that at all, I appreciate all the advice! I'm sure I could muddle my way through, but best to learn from others I find!

Got an evening to myself tonight so I'll be ordering most of what I need. Thankfully, eBay deliveries to the local Argos and Amazon have a pickup box near me so I can avoid any random delivery explanations! Then it's just getting a day where I can work on it!

Yes, that smaller irwin saw BM101 referred to is the one I was thinking of. I was so impressed with this little saw that I bought the bigger one meddigo referred to but I was disappointed with it compared to the little one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just a quick one, make sure to get lip and spur / brad point drill bits for your borrowed drill. As opposed to a 'normal' looking drill bit they have a small point and a cutting edge. More accurate in wood and leave a cleaner hole. Small diameters are fragile so take care and clear the hole as you drill by backing the drill out.
They look like this.
FZhIk8o.jpg

On the sand paper, its one of those things. Most places sell variety grade packs aimed at diy market etc. They tend to be lower grades (not quality, the grade equals the coarseness) so often a fine sand paper in a variety pack might be 60 80 and 120. That might be alright for painting afterwards because the paint will fill all the scratches left at 120.
I'd suggest this seller. Small amounts of sheets but you can choose a good variety of grades. Which is a good thing, each higher grade will remove the deeper scratches from the previous. Your essentially making smaller and smaller scratches as you go through the grades.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KLINGSPOR-wet ... APfxfbBi2A
Get 3 packs of 3 mixed packs. 240- 320 / 320 - 600 / 600-1000 The options are on the page. It'll give you a fair range. The pine is soft but you might need even finer grits when it comes to finishing but that's another story for later. :D
Good luck!
Cheers
Chris

Well most of what I need is ordered! Asked around on tools and can borrow some bits and pieces so I've only had to buy the saw! Just need to come up with an excuse as to why wood is being delivered to the house now and I'll be ready to plan reasons for my girlfriend to go out without me for a day or two! haha

Thank you all for your help, it's been invaluable and I doubt I would have gone through with this if it hadn't been for you all. I'll take photos when I start the project and will probably be here with panicked questions hahaha

Look forward to it. Enjoy yourself fella. Keep us updated. :D

I was thinking of doing a project like this myself on my lathe. The problem with just cutting one down the middle is that there isn't much room inside.

My plan was to scale up a cotton reel slightly and use the top half as a push lid fit rather than hinged. Forstner the inside for the box itself etc.

To the original poster if it doesn't go to plan drop me a pm as it's a project i have wanted to have a stab at for a while. I do hope it does go to plan though and you sweep her off her feet with the jesture.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back