SoI'm buying me a migwelder from screwfix

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small world
I have just bought this today
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/135te-turbo-mig-welder

The info that you have been posting is very interesting and helpful, thank you all.

Good luck RR I am a total novice so will pm you as I get going, get ready for silly questions.

The site that was linked earlier is an amazing resource!!!!!

I will keep you posted with my adventures
:D

I have never used one of the very low budget headshieds, but i hear quality and lifespan of the auto lense itself is questionable :!:

I've got one of the cheap masks, not had a problem with it yet, and I've had it for a few years now

Not sure about those magnetic positioners - I've got one, and while it's a lot quicker and easier than making up "proper" jigs, the problem using it with the Mig is that if the magnets are near the weld line, they pull the arc towards themselves, which is a bit confusing :(

Agree about Argoshield compared to CO2, but for the occasional user, BOC's cylinder rental is outright extortion. The b*****ds have effectively got a legal monopoly. So much for ideas about competition driving down costs.......

Shane":3qdo2mv9 said:
I've got one of the cheap masks, not had a problem with it yet, and I've had it for a few years now

Do you still know where you got it from,Shane?

There's two on ebay ones higher than tothe in price by only £2 but not decided which to go for?

Thanks.

dickm":3yqo6jv4 said:
Not sure about those magnetic positioners - I've got one, and while it's a lot quicker and easier than making up "proper" jigs, the problem using it with the Mig is that if the magnets are near the weld line, they pull the arc towards themselves, which is a bit confusing :(

I'm under the impression that they're only used to get a tack/weld on the piece to aid in the start of the weld ie if we have a box section standing upright,place the magnet at the otherside of the box section and tack or weld the opposite side to the mag and then take the mag away to continue the other 3 sides,maybe thats how its used?

I'll get one,as it sure does save a lot of messing about with making jigs up.

RussianRouter":hrt2moxh said:
Do you still know where you got it from,Shane?

There's two on ebay ones higher than tothe in price by only £2 but not decided which to go for?

Thanks.

There's over 300 auto-darkening welding helmets to choose from on that auction sight, I can't remember the seller id cos it was so long ago. Mine came from the states when the cheaper ones first became available cos there wasn't any other sellers on there at the time

RussianRouter":3uqzjv3w said:
I'm under the impression that they're only used to get a tack/weld on the piece to aid in the start of the weld

Quite so.

You only need a rare earth magnet and a couple of steel plates on the poles - they don't even need to be stuck together. The work goes across the plates, so that it bridges north and south poles. I use magnets from disk drives as they're very strong, and free.

Once you've tack welded, the magnets are unnecessary.

Latest posts

Back