Site blazer 750 wheel barrow, review.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat ferret

Established Member
Reaction score
Couple of years ago I asked on here about wheelbarrows as I was trashing them renovating my house, concreting, laying gravel roads, moving stone around ect.

My muttered response to all your suggestions of what to buy was "bought it, trashed it, flung it." Not trying to be disrespectful but it was the truth. I had had all the cheap barrows, and the not so cheap at 50-60 quid. Supposed builders barrows crumpled under the weight not lasting more than a few months.

I bought this. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...ved=0ahUKEwid5_L-55nQAhVKJsAKHSFbAm8Q_AUIBygC

2 years of use and I thought I'd do a quick review.

It arrived and it my goodness it was solid. It was as if the designer had looked at all my broken barrows and strengthened them where they had broke.

The main frame is oval in cross section so stronger and makes more comfortable handles. The whole thing is more comfortable to use, the handles are a decent height and it balances more over the wheel so a lot of weight feels lighter than in a cheaper barrow. The legs are reinforced where they touch the floor.

The front of the tray is supported so it doesn't sag when tipping. The tray is plastic but there is plastic and then there is plastic. This is around 5mm thick similar feeling material to plastic fish boxes you find on the beach. You can throw stones in it and rather than denting like a metal barrow it just bounces. It does get scratched which makes it a bit harder to clean but we are nowhere near through the tray 2 years on. Replacement trays are available.

The wheel is a good size and runs on bearings. No punctures so far. Tyre still fine. One annoyance is the holes in the ends of the handles. If you stand it outside up rain gets in these which if left would rust the frame from the inside, not a major point but easy to fix by the manufacturer I would have thought.

I have used it loads. I carted 80 barrow loads of stone from my large veg patch with it. I barrowed 7 tons of concrete 30 yards for the conservatory foundations. I laid 30 yards of gravel road and a small car park which used 20 tons of 3" bottoming and 20 tons of 1 1/2" sub base. I have moved countless tons of stone with it while building dry stone walls. Used it for hand mixing post concrete and carting posts when fencing.

It did cost £180 which is a lot but it's worth it, I recon I would have killed at least 4 of the 50 quid barrows with the work it's done and it's a bit scratched and scuffed but still works like new.

If you are a barrow slayer you need one of these. It helps keep you going as it's a lot easier to use so better for your body and you get more done. I asked the saleswoman if it would last longer than me when I was ordering it at age 22. She told me it would and I laughed, now I'm not so sure :wink: .

Nice review.
I don't really need one as my 40yr old one is still going strong though I have replaced the tyre twice.
No idea of the make or price as I fished it out of a river - some vandals had chucked it in and the contractor didn't want it back. All metal construction and has lived outside with no cover or protection. :)

Rod

The economics of a £180 barrow depend on the premise that cheaper ones don't last 5 minutes I guess. Last year we bought two metal builders barrows (£32 each) and one Haemmerlin barrow (£35). Trade. All have had heavy use shifting type 1, concrete etc (always washed properly afterwards) and all are fine and my guess is they will last many years. The last plastic Haemmerlin was 12 years old when I split it trying to shift a 140 kg beam with it. An abuse too far.

For £180 I would want an electric barrow!

Nice review though.

I buy cheap builders barrows, but turn 14" or so extensions for the handles on the lathe
Just make a male socket to hammer into the tube about 4" long and the rest the same width as the O/D
10" more distance & leverage makes the whole excercise comfortable.

I recon it's like the Clifton planes people pay so much for. If you use it a lot it's worth having the best. I don't so am happy with an old record. 180 Quid actually doesn't buy much anyway although it's still a lot of money to me. I about to spend more than that on the car when it's had it's service and it certainly wont last longer than me.

I killed lots of metal ones just because they wore through but I did have an older one that lasted a while. I had Haemmerlin and Walshal. Better but still wore out.

Lurker you told me that last time and I thought it sounded like a good tip. Part of my problem with the cheap ones is being a big lad I have to bend my back more to lift them off the deck. This one has handles at a decent height so it's not like trying to walk with your trousers down.

After wearing out two metal wheelbarrows on the last renovation project carrying umpteen tonnes of stone my father bought a cheap, bright orange thing from B&Q to my dismay, but amazingly, it's still here and still carrying umpteen tonnes of stone around.

I've repaired it four times where the welds have broke and the base has cracked, but it's not bad enough to justify a replacement just yet, despite being abused daily. Yesterday I moved two packs of block eight at a time (that must be 180kg easily) and it didn't die,

Back