So... whos been out rustling timber in this weather?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Our next door neighbours tree appears to be lying across my front garden - its a lilac, and not big enough to do anything with. Do people turn with it?

I can hear chainsaws buzzing away in the distance, so some good timber must be falling somewhere? Or are you all out with your chainsaws as I type!?

Adam

A colleague of mine has a small oak tree in his garden that has been blown down. Not sure on size yet but he has already offered it to me :D

Steve

Yeah.. windy today isn't it...

I've got... erm.. 'one or two' fence panels out if anyone wants them :)

P1180278.JPG

P1180282.JPG

P1180284.JPG

Before anyone says 'Lucky it didn't get the car'.... The car was parked outside the pub when the fence came down as I was out for lunch.

I should probably feel bad that the fence is down, but I'm rather looking forward to fixing it now :D

Fecn

I'm in Heysham harbour and have spent the best part of the afternoon watching the old railway jetty outside the pierheads disintegrating in 65 knots of wind.

Some huge baulks of timber coming sailing in through the harbour entrance!

Might have difficulty getting them in my grip to take them home though!

Yet another bit of my mum's Mimosa tree has dropped off - too small to be useful unfortunately. On the other hand if enough drops off the whole thing'll have to come down and I may get lucky - if it's any good at all. Is it very bad to hope that happens...? :oops:

Cheers, Alf

ive lost the roof off my shed and 2 complete fences but the farmer next door has lost the gable of his atcost barn :shock:
but as i leave and return from work in the dark i`ll have to wait till weekend to get the saw out

why do you think i was asking about sharpening :lol: :wink:

My workshop still has its roof! Amazing! I'm quite proud of this - it's years now since I lost a workshop roof.

Which is more than can be said for my greenhouse :( . At least polycarbonate sheets don't shatter all over the garden.

Gill

I just did drive up through wetheringsett and Diss, there was part of a roof off of a big barn, a cypress tree tipped right over just missed a house, BUT I did espy a fantastic lump of oak in a ditch but due to pressure of traffic and time was unable to collect :roll: I'll get something useful from this storm though, small axe and bowsaw in boot..... :lol: Ha ha, He he he :lol:

WOW!

Glad yourself or anyone else was not hurt.

RPM

I've got a massive dent in my van roof from hitting a large overhanging branch. :cry:

Adam,

I had a lilac blow down a couple of weeks ago - about 6" diameter. I cut the usable bits into 2ft lengths and then planked and stickered them - got 15 lengths average width about 4". Googling for lilac uses provides a good source. It seems to be a very hard wood, fantastic colours, and good for tool handles. It also smells fantastic when cut.

Have a go cutting it - the colours alone are worth the effort.

Stephen

And we've had blue sky and sunshine :D
Yes,we really have - Hull docks closed completely,Manchester freightliner stopped lifting,but here around Teesside,it's been sheltered from the wind and weather completely.
So no free timber :( - but no damaged buildings either :)

Andrew

Well you're more than welcome to the 40ft leylandii that toppled over and miraculously missed our conservatory. Ironically, I only called the tree surgeon a couple of days ago to get a quote on getting the stand of 3 of them topped to a less dangerous size...

to actually get back to the original theme of this thread

I HAVE
73302949.KMvcj3bb.WOOD.jpg

not bad for a mornings work on the roadside :lol:

mambo":3bxd79zm said:
to actually get back to the original theme of this thread

I HAVE

not bad for a mornings work on the roadside :lol:

Christmas all over again! :wink: :lol:

Nice one.

RPM

Collected three Sycamore trunks and some Gret old Oak due to the winds this week. I have told my wife It will be used one day.
Colj

I've been wondering for a while, since i saw it on the new yankee workshop, what happens to trees blown over by the wind in public areas. Do the council just feed them into the chip machines where they fall or might they sell them onto timber merchants merchants.
Alternatively, the amount of trees i've seen on the sides of the road, can we just pitch up with a trailer in the dead of night :wink:
what i've just suggested might be highly ilegal i don't know

Our Local Council and landowners are only too pleased for us to take away the wood once cut.
Colinj.

I was talking to a fire wood dealer yesterday and he siad its criminal some of the quality hard woods as get chipped or sold for firewood. He has some prime beech, several billets, one is about 11 foot long and 4 foot 6 inch diam. Forestry comission sold it on to him "as fit for firewood". But he is loathe to split it for fire wood. But then neither he nor I possess a portable bandmill. He said when he started about 40 years ago every bit of beech/oak/ash etc would be at least considered for joinery or cabinet making, but now no one can be bothered :shock: :roll:
I still think you gotta be very careful though if the fallen wood is on private or council owned land (or possibly even grass verges-highways agency etc??) as it is stealing (I certainly wouldnt want anyone helping themself off of my land) Best to get permission first and avoid hasle. And of course the H&S police wont like anyone using a chain saw or even a bow saw without a 65 page risk assesment will they? :lol: Bring back common sense :lol: Common rights, hook or by crook, common land :lol: :D

Back