so where do we put electrical questions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
browsing, is that the right word, a screwfix catalogue, i noticed some socket converters on page 323 of the number 85 cat.

do you need to part p on them, and has anyone used the single to triple or single to 4 gang, seem quite useful.
:?
paul :wink:

I've not used one but I have had it in my hand, so to speak. If you look at the back of the 4 gang the middle half is like the rear of a 2 gang. The single gang on each side is sealed off. Not sure if a replacement of a socket need a part P.

I've used the single to triple converter, very successfully. Did have to add a couple of screws into the original single socket as it wasn't installed very well and the triple socket weight made it move in it's recess.

Other than that, they're very good and easy to install.

Martin

garywayne":a7swxzpj said:
davy_owen_88 wrote:
You can add sockets freely with no need to get a registered spark or BCO involved.

OllyK wrote:
Unless in a kitchen?

Or bathroom.

That was my immediate thought as well but reading the (poorly drafted) regulation it says that work is not notifiable, even in a kitchen or bathroom, for replacement. They don't say whether the replacement has to be like-for-like so I would posit that the man on the Clapham omnibus would say that you could replace the existing socket with one of those mentioned in the first post.

As an aside, just noticed that the knock-on effect of Mr Prescott's role being changed has meant that the website formally known as www.odpm.gov.uk has now been diverted to a new website (I assume it's new). My lips are sealed. I refrain from comment. You might like to think that it is an appalling waste of money but i couldn't possibly comment :wink:

All replacement work even if carried out in a kitchen or bathroom is not notifiable work. Installing one of those sockets does not include the addition of fixed wiring so again its not notifiable even if in a kitchen.

Standard sockets are not allowed in bathrooms anyway :p

why not. I have a double socket next to the bath. The power lead on my radio isn't long enough so i plug it in there and it's great for my electric toothbrush.

:wink:

IEE are apparently changing their regs, which will allow sockets in bathrooms providing they are protected by a 30mA RCD - plus I expect some rules on placement/zoning.

3m from a bath has cropped up in conversations.

Supplementary bonding is scrapped too as long as main bonding is up to scratch and every circuit in the bathroom is RCD protected (max. 30mA)

P.S These are just drafts so take them with a pinch of salt.

LyNx wrote
why not. I have a double socket next to the bath. The power lead on my radio isn't long enough so i plug it in there and it's great for my electric toothbrush.

Thats OK so long as you only play Handles Water Music or the Funeral March :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back