Small Workshop Compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick81

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Im thinking about getting a compressor for my workshop. Never had one before and know nothing about them.
I am wanting to use an 18g 15-50mm brad nailer, an air blower, and if possible a sprayer.
I am talking about small scale projects....I am not re-spraying cars all day or anything like that.

Been looking in the M/Mart, Axminster catalogues etc at the entry level 25lt compressors around £100. Would this be sufficient?

I dont know what any of the specifications mean or whats good or not....nor which brands are favourable.

Can anybody offer me any guidance?

Thank you.

brad nailer, no problem, ar blower, no problem. Sprayer... could have a bit of an issue with that one on a 25 L compressor.

I had a clarke 1.5hp 25ltr compressor. I used mine for nailing from brads up to 3.5'' full round head nails, a bit of body panel spraying etc. I had no issues apart from emptying the tank of air quickly. Thus the noise of refilling every 5 - 10 min. My spray guns were not expensive ones though that consumed a lot of air.

I have an older 25 litre tank Axminster compressor.

I use it for the occasional touching up job but it runs out of air quite quickly if you are trying to spray larger bits and you have to stop and wait for it to catch up.

The reason I have a small compressor is so I can take it on site to touch up and use a nailer, but have a big SIP one I use for spraying.

If you have the space I would see if you can find a good second hand 100lt one on ebay, as this will give you the option for niling and spraying.

Tom

carlb40":6glois2j said:
I had a clarke 1.5hp 25ltr compressor. I used mine for nailing from brads up to 3.5'' full round head nails.

May I ask if you used a coil nailer, for the round head nails?
mack

mack9110000":ob6nq9xo said:
carlb40":ob6nq9xo said:
I had a clarke 1.5hp 25ltr compressor. I used mine for nailing from brads up to 3.5'' full round head nails.

May I ask if you used a coil nailer, for the round head nails?
mack
I did indeed. Mine is the porter cable one. Got very heavy fully loaded with 200 nails in it :lol:

The compressor had no probs powering the gun, just a bigger tank would have meant less waiting for it to fill up again ;)

This is my big one :lol:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&sa ... x=58&ty=74

Maverick81":2c932ito said:

Small compressors give good power when full however because of their small reservoir and lighter duty Pumps they cannot keep up with the continuous amount of air flow rate needed for hvlp spraying (generally around 12-14cfm @ 30-40psi)

For small panels (500x500mm) you will just about get away with using a 25ltr compressor providing you allow it to refill between panels.

Hope that helps

Alex

Aldi are doing small air compressors on Thursday £100 but does have a 3 year warranty (tried to post a link but I'm not worthy)

They are also selling various accessories including nail guns for £20......

Back