Sliding plate on Record Power bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquachiefofficer

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Record Power BS300E as a retirement present for myself.
I haven't owned one previously, but Alan Holtham's video convinced me that it was absolutely essential that I should increase my ability to make a ruinously expensive mess out of defenceless pieces of timber.
There is a plate to the left side of the top blade guide assembly (part number 143) the purpose of which utterly escapes me. It does what it says on the tin- it slides vertically but gives access to nothing.
I'd be very grateful if a member with more experience could explain what it's for.
"There are few places I have not been, there is little that I have not failed to misunderstand".
Paul

To stop you touching the blade when you lower the guides but drops down out of the way of the wheel arc when you raise them.

At least that's how it works on my SIP.

Good evening Chas,
Thank you for the quick reply but I've just been out to the garage to look at it again. It doesn't move at all during the full travel of the guides and when it is raised by hand it just exposes another solid flat plate behind it. I get the impression that it may be a part from an earlier model that is now redundant.
Best regards, Paul

When you lower the guide arm the plate should be retained by a stop on its upper edge so that it remains in the upper position and covers the blade in the slot behind it, when you raise the guide the plate will slide down over the solid part of the guide tube.
If the guide tube was solid walled all the way up it would foul the upper wheel when raised, if the plate was not there you would have an exposed blade when the guide was lowered.

Apologies, I was wrong. After a second inspection it does rise when the guide carrier is within 95mm of the table but still doesn't cover or expose anything but the flat plate directly beneath it.
Best regards, Paul

Finally see what you mean, Chas. The slot's only 6mm wide so no chance of getting a finger through. Many thanks for your time and patience,
Regards, Paul

Back