Slab flattening router recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had bad luck with my Hitachi. I bought it for kitchen worktops but left it in my lockup for about 10 years and I assume it got damp over the years. When I went to use it this year it made a terrible noise and then started smoking. I stripped it to find the problem and discovered the windings burnt out. I’ve yet to replace it.
Thanks for sharing. Too late for me now but I will try to keep it in a dry place.

Out of interest what's the benefit of the router over using either a scrubbing plane or a electric planer???

Cheers James

I am thinking about something like this, loads of positive review and it is cheap. It suppose to have Carbide cutter but at this price it is cheaper to replace it than to buy replacement carbide cutters for more expensive bit. What do you think?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doolland-Spoilboard-Surfacing-Flattening-Woodworking/dp/B07YZBTFZ8

Probably fine for a couple of slabs, but will be toast if it hits something. though as you say for that price buy a spare,
However there is certainly a difference in the sharpness of good carbide cutters and the cheaper ones.
Out of interest what's the benefit of the router over using either a scrubbing plane or a electric planer???

The advantage is that by using a sled set up with two parallel guides you can guide the router with these, flattenning any lumps out. You can get a flat face regardless of the random shape of the slab to begin with or what is on the underside. Mostly the slabs are too big to go in a planer thicknesser .
A hand or electric handplane will follow to an extent the surface as it is, it can be done but it will be a pain in the ass.

Ollie

You won't go far wrong with that Hikoko M12ve, had mine for a few years and it's great

Don't forget it is variable speed; if your cutter has a medium or large diameter you will need to turn the speed down

For the machine itself almost any router will do it, bigger the motor the better.

I would say try and get a bit with replaceable inserts. The reason being that you might get inclusions of grit or metal in the slabs, once you get a chip in a big expensive router bit you can`t fix it and you are going to be pretty annoyed. Also flattening a slab is hard work on the cutting edges so being able to rotate the inserts is a very good thing.

Like this thing.
https://www.amanatool.com/rc-2250-i...-2-dia-x-1-2-x-1-2-inch-shank-router-bit.html
I know CMT do some replaceable tip stuff but be careful because some cant be mounted in hand routers and have strange bolt in shanks etc.

Ollie
beast of a cutter that is but kind of blows all his budget without anything left to spin it round with ;)

Latest posts

Back