Sky.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a new Sky system on order, two men are coming next Thursday.... to carry out a 'risk assessment!!!'

Roy.

It's to be fitted where the existing one is attached, to the gutter board of a bungalow!!
I live in Wales.

Roy.

I should have conducted a risk assessment before my sky installers fitted our dish. They put cable clips every 6 inches through the felt roof of my garage. Un-fookin'-believable, and they do this for a living!

Our present dish was done by me and my son.
The 'engineer' turned up, 'that tree will have to come down!' says he!
The ' Satelite's over there!' I argued. Out comes my compass and he agrees.
'Can't put it on your chimney.'
'Why not?'
'Don't do lofts!'

Roy.

One place we lived the engineer put the dish ON the tree...!!!

We were surrounded by large trees and there was no line of sight to the satellite from the house.

regards

Brian

when i moved house my dish had to go on the chimney. i can't remember the exact figure but it was over £100 for a chimney install so i told them to cancel my contract and i'd get cable tv instead. suddenly they said it would be free. a few days later a couple of young lads turned up. one held the ladder the other climbed up then walked up the roof and fitted it.

Virgin Broadband fitters are just as bad. They had to dig a shallow trench a couple of metres long from the pavement to the building, except they had no tools with them. Off they went to the local hire shop and got an angle grinder?? and cut a trench all of a half inch deep. Then they ran the cable up the wall, not in a boring straight line, oh no, they used the much under rated dot to dot zigzag method.
Class.

Sky engineer drilled the wall to fit an eye about 5 feet from the ground to secure his ladder to, I offered to foot the ladder (at the time I was a fireman) however he refused my help as if he fell he would not be insured, H&S gone mad!!! My daughter had sky fitted the engineer made a complete mess of routing the phone cable over a radiator and believe it or not up around her fire surround nail cable clips actually to the surround, needless to say she complained, another engineer came re-routed the cable and sky eventually gave her a sum of money to have the damaged surround replaced. Make sure your around when they install, just incase.

Regards

Stew

When we had ours installed, the fitter drilled through an external wall to route the cable, but drilled from the inside-out, blowing half a brick away in the process. He just filled the cavity with clear silicone - no plate to cover it. He also left a nice pile of brick dust on the inside of the room for us to clear up - real class!

The last time I had cable installed, I came home to find the cable across the flower bed and turf in a line about 8 inch deep. The next guy could not see the problem.

Well, they've been!
No problems this time, though they do seem to be rationed as to how many cable clips they may use.

Roy.

You just need to live in Glasgow. Sky fitters and window cleaners are in a class of their own here.

When I had sky fitted 3 years ago (to the roof of a 4 storey Victorian tenement), he just climbed up onto the roof through the sky-light (sans-rope), walked about and bolted it to the chimney breast. Then threw the cable over the front, and his mate lent out the window (3rd floor) and grabbed it. Took 30 mins. Now that's what I call a 'special heights team'!

As for window cleaners, well this should explain everything:

Attachments

• window-cleaner.jpg
    window-cleaner.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 262
Back