Site saw vs. cabinet saw (specifically Axminster)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I keep hearing that so called cabinet saws (induction motor, cast iron table, heavy) are better than site saws; partly because the "accuracy of cut is better" - but, I never see any facts or details to back that up.

I've been looking at the Bosch GTS 10 XC site saw for my small workshop, but it's occurred to me that for larger cuts (i.e. an 8x4' sheet) I’d still probably be better just using a handheld circular saw outside. As such, the portable aspect becomes less important.

I'm now considering the Axminster TS-200 and TS-250M, as well as the AW10BSB2 or even the AW12BSB2.

I understand the difference between a universal and induction motor - though to be honest the advantage of induction does seem to be mostly if you get a really big one, and run it for hours a day. As a hobbyist, I expect I'd be doing occasional short start-stop runs, so I don't think induction is a clear cut advantage for me.

So, in the case of "better" is it simply the mass of the cabinet saw tables, the quality of the machining, the quality of the fences, reduced vibration in the motor and spindle? If I were to go for a budget option (e.g. the TS-200) do those advantages still hold true?

The AW10BSB2 and TS-250M have almost identical cutting capacities, so I assume the huge difference in weight (184kg vs 80kg) is down to the former's much larger table, and perhaps a better built motor (including the ~50% power increase)?

Any input from those who have used various machines greatly appreciated!

In my opinion it’s the old “horses for courses“. You will no doubt get valid comments advocating the advantages of a table/panel saw with a sliding carriage etc =D>

If you intend to cut accurately lots of large pieces of sheet material then you probably need one of these “sophisticated” machines, this assumes you have the space for one of these in addition to being able to manoeuvre 8x4 sheets in your workshop anyway #-o .

I consider myself like you a hobby woodworker with a largish garage but would have difficultly accommodating a large saw.

I purchased a new Dewalt 745 site saw 1 year ago and having made a decent table sled and a solid but mobile stand the machine cuts accurately and has suited me fine.

I do have to cut the 8x4 sheets with a hand held circular saw first but then with the aid of some good roller stands the Dewalt takes care of the rest. Obviously there has been a couple of times when a large saw table would have been great but it would not have been worth the squeezing around the machine for the rest of the time.

Good luck with your choice :)

regards
Keith

From my own limited knowledge, it looks like a decent "track saw" is a good choice to make as it can make accurate straight cuts on sheet material and can be used for a lot of other uses too. Most makers seem to have brought these out in the past few years

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm mostly thinking of it for slicing through chunks of wood (e.g. 50x50mm ash/sycamore for cutting boards, some cross cutting and some ripping), and the occasional bit of sheet material (generally 3/4" MDF). I was hoping that with a decent blade I'd get straighter cleaner cuts than with the bandsaw (and leave the bandsaw with a thinner blade for more intricate/curved cuts).

I could pull the machine out from the wall to fit an extension table when I wanted to make wider cuts (i.e. anything over the ~27cm the bandsaw will do). There's no way I'd get an 8x4' sheet in the garage and then move it over 8' to rip it, so very long cuts would definitely have to happen outside. That's pretty rare for me though.

I may be able to get a good deal on a used TS-200, though if I were buying new I'd probably go for the TS-250M. With the sliding table and extension, it's over £100 cheaper than the Bosch GTS 10 XC. Is the TS-250M "better"... ...I just don't know.

There's no good reason why you shouldn't get good clean cuts from a bandsaw with the right blade. Mine cuts clean enough to go from the saw to a half sheet sander. (Obviously not for high class work, but for general joinery)

phil.p":2jn001jc said:
There's no good reason why you shouldn't get good clean cuts from a bandsaw with the right blade. Mine cuts clean enough to go from the saw to a half sheet sander. (Obviously not for high class work, but for general joinery)

I find there's always compromise between being able to rip through thicker stock (wider width, lower TPI blade) and something ok for sheet material (thinner width, higher TPI). The latter's pretty good, but then struggles with, say, an 80mm square length of ash. That said, most of the cheaper table saws won't hit an 80mm depth of cut anyway, so I accept that point's moot.

Ive been in a similar dilemna with space versus what I need to do decision !
I came out in favour of a bandsaw (on a mobile base) and a track saw.
I couldnt justify the size of a table saw and extension tables because as someone said, you are forever having to work around it as it totally dominates a garage workshop and there are other ways.
As usual, unless you have loads of space and money then something has to give.
Horses and courses come to mind...

I have a fairly normal sized car garage so my space is somewhat limited.
I settled for a DeWalt 7491 table saw and 74911 stand, Just arrived this week.
The table saw and stand are very sturdy and because the fence is on a rack and pinion on both sides there is absolutely no movement when locked down.
Once i'm done i just fold up the legs and roll into the corner for storage.
It takes up very little space. VERY HAPPY :)

DEWALT-DWE7491RS-Stand-Folded-Up.jpg

Hickorystick":24lzn90a said:
Ive been in a similar dilemna with space versus what I need to do decision !
I came out in favour of a bandsaw (on a mobile base) and a track saw.
I couldnt justify the size of a table saw and extension tables because as someone said, you are forever having to work around it as it totally dominates a garage workshop and there are other ways.
As usual, unless you have loads of space and money then something has to give.
Horses and courses come to mind...

There's no easy answer really is there (unless you have both cash and space).

I got chance to check out the Axminster TS-200, TS-250M and the AW12BSB2 (apparently the AW10BSB2 is very similar). Given the choice, I'd go for the TS-250M, due to it being relatively small and having a good cut depth.

The larger AW models didn't impress me that much; the quality of the fence and general build didn't seem much better than the TS models, so I guess the extra cost has just gone into the size and weight (and admittedly larger/better rated motor).

I didn't think the general build quality "feel" of any of the Axminster machines above was better than the Bosch GTS 10 XC - but admittedly I was unable to fire up any of the machines in store.

The AW machines have standard 3/4" x 3/8" mortice slots, but annoyingly all the others had some variation on a ~15mm wide slot.

The TS-250M is ~500GBP with accessories. I do wonder if there'd be a market for a similarly sized saw (i.e. relatively small) but with an extra 100-200GBP of "quality" - i.e. standard mitre slot sizes, better motor, better fence etc. I'd certainly be tempted, but I don't know of anything that fits into that bracket.

All that said - I got (back) onto the table saw idea after failing to cut some 3" thick ash on my bandsaw. In hindsight, it was because my blade was blunt (it was still handling 1/2" ply and 3/4" MDF ok). With a new blade, it of course cuts fine. Where the bandsaw limits me sometimes is maximum ripping width. That then leads me to wonder if I should instead consider selling my existing bandsaw (a 12" model) and putting the cash I'd use for a table saw into a larger model. Probably less chance of losing my fingers too :wink:

Jmac80":24lzn90a said:
I have a fairly normal sized car garage so my space is somewhat limited.
I settled for a DeWalt 7491 table saw and 74911 stand, Just arrived this week.
The table saw and stand are very sturdy and because the fence is on a rack and pinion on both sides there is absolutely no movement when locked down.
Once i'm done i just fold up the legs and roll into the corner for storage.
It takes up very little space. VERY HAPPY :)

That's a good looking unit. I'm a bit "anti" yellow tools - though I'll admit with no particular good reason; I just like blue Bosch stuff. The rack and pinion sounds like a good idea.

In my garage though I'd struggle even for the space to "unfurl" that (it'd have to form part of an existing worktop space). Alternatively, I'd wheel it outside for cuts; and then it arguably would only be a bit more useful than a handheld circular saw (weather and neighbour-annoying noise issues).

I believe if you distill down what makes a good circular saw it comes down to
A large flat table top
A really solid fence that's easy and accurate to adjust.
A proper riving knife that's easy to adjust
A good crown guard
Good dust extraction.
Good bearings on the spindle
A powerful motor.

If you stick to the basics, and don't get too worried by the nice to haves you won't go too far wrong in your selection.

IMO the table saw is for getting stuff down to relatively close dimensions of what you want. Final demiensioning is done by planing. Absolute accuracy is not what they do, and again IMO in a lot of instances the table saw is asked to do things it simply isn't really designed to do.

deema":z41fezw1 said:
I believe if you distill down what makes a good circular saw it comes down to
A large flat table top
A really solid fence that's easy and accurate to adjust.
A proper riving knife that's easy to adjust
A good crown guard
Good dust extraction.
Good bearings on the spindle
A powerful motor.

If you stick to the basics, and don't get too worried by the nice to haves you won't go too far wrong in your selection.

IMO the table saw is for getting stuff down to relatively close dimensions of what you want. Final demiensioning is done by planing. Absolute accuracy is not what they do, and again IMO in a lot of instances the table saw is asked to do things it simply isn't really designed to do.

+1 For the above. Rodders

I've got the makita site saw and I must say I'm very very happy with it! The quality is brilliant and it cuts very accurate. It comes with aload of accessories and I'm sure at the time it was cheaper than the dewalt.

Worth a look in my opinion.

Alex

Appreciate this is an old thread, but just to make people aware, Axminster are selling the TS-200 for around £155 these days and as far as I can work out from other recent threads that includes the extension table - you will need to check with Axminster themselves on this last point but this is a superb price for a hobby table saw with these features, best of all being a cast iron top.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... -table-saw

It now does say that it includes the extension table if you select the "TS-200 Standard" from the drop-down box on the right.

Back