SIP Planer Thicknesser won't start!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieran62

Established Member
Reaction score
SIP 01454 10" x 6" Planer Thicknesser Afternooon everyone.
I took all the advice on setting this machine up from this forum and I'm grateful for any help with this problem.
I've spent most of the day planing and thicknessing rough sawn 3x3. Everything was going well, and I thought I'd have a cup of tea before finishing the final side of all thirty pieces.
I turned the machine on and it started OK, but cut out and knocked out the RCD within a couple of seconds; not a problem I thought flick the RCD and I'll be back in business :D. No such luck :( , the machine now just makes a humming noise as if the cutter block is jammed, but nothing moves. I've taken all the covers off and rotated the drive belts by hand and the block moves freely.
The terrible SIP manual says to reset the overload on the motor, but I've been all over it and can't see any switch.
Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Kieran

Hi,
I am rubbish at diagnosis over the web!
However, the overload may be inside the terminal box, though I would hope that it cuts the supply to the motor, you may have lost the cap if the motor is a cap start type.
There is way to prove this easily but it is a bit dangerous!
You need to spin the block in the operating direction and then start the motor with the block still turning.
If it runs then you have probably lost the start cap, other option is that the centrifugal switch is u/s.
Please note this is dangerous and should not be undertaken unless you are sure that you will not hurt yourself or cause any damage!

Hi Paul,
I tried turning the cutting block with a push pad and the pitch of the motor hum changed as if it was trying to start, would that be in line with your theory about the capacitor?
In my younger years I'd have probably tried fastening a wrench to the block and spinning it to see if I could get it going, but I'm quite fond of this set of fingers.
Thanks for your reply.
Kieran

Kieran,
It could be as I say I am useless at fault diagnosis over the web!
You could perhaps run it up pretty quick with say a drill on the pulley bolt if there is one, then turn it on?
Again dangerous!
If it ran then I would say cap/switch.
Is it still tripping the mains?
MCB or RCD?

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your help. I'll try the drill tomorrow when I'm feeling a little more brave :D
It only tripped the main consumer unit once, sorry don't know the difference between RCD and MCB; what I do know about electrics you could write inside a matchbox without opening it :D
I'll look for the starter capacitor in the machine in the morning and see about sourcing one.
Once again thanks for your expertise.

Kieran

MCB = Fuse.
RCD = earth trip.
RCD is often like a main switch, though it depends on your board.
RCD normally bigger than MCB.
Be careful as often you now see combined RCD & MCB, called an RCBO.
Give us a description and we can help further if you want.

There are numerous good, reasonable and quick suppliers of suitable capacitors on eBay.

If you are not sure what to buy then post a photo of the current capacitor and I can guide you towards a source.

It is very highly likely that it is the capacitor. In the last 10 or so jobs I've had in, only one has proved to be other than capacitor failure and that was a very obscure fault. Capacitors are cheap and worth a punt as a solution.

Bob

9fingers":3konzm5i said:
Capacitors are cheap and worth a punt as a solution.

Bob
.... unless you have a 110V Elu flipover saw. In which case, they leave you little change out of £60 :(
Fortunately, found the (obvious with hindsight) solution without spending that money.

Thanks Paul and Bob,
Paul, I was too chicken to try the starting the block with a drill trick; I've got enough scars and bits missing from 32 years of building!
Bob, thanks for the offer of help with identifing the capacitor, luckily all the info was on the case and Google came to the rescue; I've ordered one from ebay and I'll give it a go next week.
I really would have been stuck without the generous help available on this forum.
Thanks again
Kieran

Got the new starter capacitor fitted this morning and have been happily thicknessing since.
Thanks again for the help and advice
Kieran

Hi all i had a similar problem, changed the cap and was running fine then put a bit of overly wet timber through and the machine stopped. Thought oh pushed it too hard learnt my lesson, put another new cap in but nothing.. the on switch just clicks once but no start up, no humming nothing, the start button doesn't click if unplugged. Is there a fuse anywhere i can check ? Tia ben

Fuse will be in the plug. Theres often a relay switch which could have failed. Do you have a multimeter to see where the electric gets to? On a dewalt i had, i took the cover off the electrics and i was able to test switch setup. It had a little press in button which made the planer fire up, but the switch wouldnt operate on the strart button. I bought a replacement using the numbers on the switch setup and that cured it.

Im not electrically minded, so use common sense if you uncover the wiring. I'd unplug the machine, take the cover off and have a look around before you consider plugging it in to test stuff 😉
Oh yeah, the original switch showed signs of overheating ( scorch marks! )

Checked the fuse first. I habe a multi meter but wouldnt know where to start haha. Had a look at the switch by no signs of over heating.. thanks for the reply, i have a feeling its the switch .. may just order one thanks

Back