SIP 10 table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spadge

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a fairly new member and I have to say there is such a wealth of information, advice and expertise on this site. I am really impressed!

My question is about the construction of the SIP 10 cast iron table saw (or any clones that have the same construction method) and how easy it will be to strip it down? Specifically are the motor and trunions attached to the underside of the table top or are they attached to the cabinet? and how easy is it to get the motor off?

May seem a daft question but my workshop is in the cellar down a steep and fairly tight staircase so I will have to strip such a saw down to more manageable size bits to get it down there.

Thanks

spadge":1fzt4ma2 said:
I am a fairly new member and I have to say there is such a wealth of information, advice and expertise on this site. I am really impressed!

My question is about the construction of the SIP 10 cast iron table saw (or any clones that have the same construction method) and how easy it will be to strip it down? Specifically are the motor and trunions attached to the underside of the table top or are they attached to the cabinet? and how easy is it to get the motor off?

May seem a daft question but my workshop is in the cellar down a steep and fairly tight staircase so I will have to strip such a saw down to more manageable size bits to get it down there.

Thanks

Hi Spadge,

I have a sip 10" cast iron, when it's delivered it is one large packing case but the two cast iron wings to the table top are not bolted on, the same goes for the fence. The motor and it's carrier are bolted to the underside and should be accessible as it's already upside down in the crate. Having said that it's still going to be pretty heavy for one man, two men I guess it will be manageable.

I have had a SIP 10" CI saw for more than 2 years. I am very pleased with it - it is very quiet and delivers accurate clean cuts. The fence is rigid when clamped, although the "micro adjuster" is pretty useless - I don't even bother with it. I don't have the sliding table or the the split fence (not available when I bought the saw) but I use a home-made sled for panel cutting.

Colin S

PS meant to post this in the 12" query !

Definetly a two man job to move it!!!! The side panels are screwed on, which is a bit of a pain to get inside, but it's no big deal. Otherwise good saw, solid and rigid for the price. Just meake sure you've got a big enough cable to supply that 16amp connection.

Mark

Chaps,
I am considering this saw, can you please answer a few queries ?
Will it run on a 13A socket ?
Is the micro adjuster rubbish on all the fences ? A weak spot of the saw ?
Is it repeatably accurate. Ripping and X cutting ?
Do you need to replace the blade supplied or is it ok ?
Is the table flat ?
Is the fox, perform (axminster) and SIP basically the same saw. The perform includes a sliding table and rear table for £600. If the base unit is the same that's a lot of metal for the money.

Many thanks
John McM

Is the fox, perform (axminster) and SIP basically the same saw.

The perform saw does not appear to be on their site any more - do you have a link?

John McM":16eqrfzz said:
Chaps,
I am considering this saw, can you please answer a few queries ?
Will it run on a 13A socket ?
Is the micro adjuster rubbish on all the fences ? A weak spot of the saw ?
Is it repeatably accurate. Ripping and X cutting ?
Do you need to replace the blade supplied or is it ok ?
Is the table flat ?
Is the fox, perform (axminster) and SIP basically the same saw. The perform includes a sliding table and rear table for £600. If the base unit is the same that's a lot of metal for the money.

Many thanks
John McM

It should be hard wired into a 16 amp socket. I would suggest that you at least put it on it's own circuit.

The micro adjuster is ok-ish. not fab but for the price of the saw...
yes, proved to be very accurate over the 6/7 months I used it, and it coped well with all woods.

I can't remember, but the I think the supplied blade was Ok but like any of these it pays to upgarde it asap.

The table is very good, darn heavy, and flat.

I think the perform is different and it's cheaper too. I think the SIP is better.
You also get a two year warrenty with it.

regards Mark

I have the SIP 10" cast iron joby, it works well off a normal 13amp plug. You need to make sure that the drive belt is not too tight for the starting torque.

Try it before you go through all the expense of the 16amp route.

:D :D :D

It is a very nice piece of kit. The micro adjuster works fine if you have the fence just clamped enough for grip rather than flying in the wind.

Les

Les, I'm sure you (and probably many others :) )are probably Ok running it on the usual 13a plug, but I would just like to say that according to their own literature it should be hard wired or run thru a 16a plug :( . So can I humbly suggest that if you go down that route, you run it on a low use circuit, but it is fair to say it is the initial startup surge that is the biggest draw.

Not trying to be picky honestly! :D

Regards
mark

Mark

As you suggest it may be on a low use circuit. My garage (workshop really) has it's own supply as do most others. The record rsd1 dust collector and lights are on then the saw is switched on.

No problem, lights might dip on startup but has all been checked out by a Part "P" spark and all is well.

Les

Many thanks for your views chaps, I think I'm coming down on the side of the SIP. I could not find the Perofrm on the Axminster site though it's in their catalogue. I find their search engine hopeless.
Cheers
John McM

I can definitely vouch for the SIP. A new mitre gauge, and blade makes it a great bit of kit.

I remember someone in a previous post saying the got it with the sliding table for £600 from Lyndhurst Woodworking Machinery (0845 0704342)

If this is still available, it is 100 notes cheaper than the Perform and the Fox.

The Perform does seem to have disappeared though.

When I first had the saw (SIP), I fitted a 13A plug and tested it - very pleased. Next time I ran it, the fuse blew ! So I wired directly to my consumer unit (with a 15A fuse), and it's been fine since.

My criticism of the micro-adjuster was not that it doesn't work, but that it has a very small knob, you have to push while turning, and a small twist seems to move the fence quite a bit. I just find it easier to nudge the fence slightly ! As I said earlier, I am very happy with fence itself - it locks both ends with one lever, and feels secure.

It may not be as good as the 1k plus saws, but it is much better than my previous saw ( a brush motor powered Delta).

Colin S

Thanks for the helpful replies guys, but things never turn out as you planned do they?

Was looking at a GWW in Smiths and it had an advert for a Kity 419 with all the attachments at a very good price so one phonecall and hours drive later and it's mine!

It's 3 years old, obviously it's hardly been used because it looks and performs just like new and it's now in my cellar with no drama's.

Job done (for now!)

Back