single phase panel saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john b

Reaction score
I'm looking into sliding table panel saws for our modest sized furniture workshop.
The dream machine is the Altendorf WA6 as its smaller size and build quality fit the bill perfectly, although it is right at the top of the budget. However, it seems Altendorf overlooked to mention in the brochure that this machine is not available with single phase option in the uk.
The question is...do we spend out on a convertor (another £5-600) or settle for an scm minimax or similar that will run without it?

Can anyone recommend a saw that would be reliably accurate for 8x4 sheets, and solid wood, with a small footprint, single phase, no need for electronic blade adjustments etc. Ideally we want protect our investment with a machine that will either last for many years, or will hold its re-sale value if/when we move to an enormous workshop with an unlimited budget to spend on replacing all our machinery (hmnnnn)

many thanks!

Do felder do anything to suit your budget?

Be careful you have the room, panel saws take up huge space

our 3.2M machine needs a working space of almost 7m x 4m

The Hammer and Felder ranges from Felder are all available in single phase, I think it's only Felder's Format 4 range that is three phase only.

I use a Felder single phase saw and it's ripped 3' thick Rosewood without protest, so there's no shortage of oomph. I've used Altendorf machines and IMO they have two advantages over Felder, their Duplex angle fence is more convenient than the Felder equivalent (that's an accessory I use regularly in my work), and Altendorf's digital fence stops feel a bit more robust. Apart from that they all seem to get the job done accurately and reliably.

I looked at the WA6 last year, size being one of the reasons (plus Altendorf quality) and thought of the converter option... I went with the Felder K500S machine in the end and couldn't be happier. I don't think the WA6 is anything like 'normal' Altendorf quality, possibly manufactured by someone else?

Felder were doing a deal where the 2.6m slider was cheaper than the 2.4m slider. I didnt want the extra size but am now glad that I did as I use the length more than I ever thought I would.

The 500 series is not the quality of the 700 series, you notice that some of the parts are not as 'chunky'. That being said, the machine was completely set up and adjusted in the factory, disassembled and shipped to me. I then assembled it myself without making any adjustments, and it was and remains perfectly set up and square etc..

Latest posts

Back