Silver dressing room

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like it. But then I fall into the category of older people who think things should always stay the same.
I agree that it's very well executed.
I have to add that I've seen a lot of kitchens in skips, and some of them only a few years old, and it strikes me that the shinier and more modern looking a kitchen is, the shorter its lifespan. Nothing dates so quickly as modernity, as I think someone once said.
I do realise this isn't a kitchen, by the way, but I think the axiom still applies.

John Brown":1h5s486v said:
I have to add that I've seen a lot of kitchens in skips, and some of them only a few years old, and it strikes me that the shinier and more modern looking a kitchen is, the shorter its lifespan. Nothing dates so quickly as modernity, as I think someone once said.

Lets hope so :wink:

I think you see so many in a skip due cost, £2000 at howdens gets you a kitchen and appliances.
For us it will get you a sub zero fridge door.

Bottom feeding again I see, doctor Bob. All expenses spared, very little planning - obviously, skimping on materials, and poor execution ... when are you going to raise your game a bit, eh? Slainte.

doctor Bob":2anmbcro said:
John Brown":2anmbcro said:

Lets hope so :wink:

I think you see so many in a skip due cost, £2000 at howdens gets you a kitchen and appliances.
For us it will get you a sub zero fridge door.

Your howdens prices are a bit out Bob.
Just bought one for our doer upper, £7k and that’s on a trade account. No appliances.

I think it is very tasteful but suspect the owners aren't. In any event, it's really lovely work.

I hope you got many tens of thousands for it (legally relieving somebody daft enough to buy loads of sunglasses of lots of their moolah cannot possibly be an ethical issue). :mrgreen:

Andy Kev.":ht7qjf5e said:
I think it is very tasteful but suspect the owners aren't. In any event, it's really lovely work.

the owners have unbelievable taste, there house is without doubt one of the nicest houses I've had the pleasure to work on and the couple are charming and down to earth.

Strange associations being made about an unknown client on the basis of a sunglasses collection. Before we had kids, my Mrs would scout ...well stalk is probably a more apt word, leather handbags of great taste and refined manufacture (according to her). Never had the money to buy them at full value she would hunt them down relentlessly second hand or buy a couple at discount, then sell one to fund the other. She loves those handbags and to be fair they are nice. Even I can see that.
She is the best person I know. Kind, popular, caring, she even works on the cure for cancer (although that bit is not all by herself admittedly), since we moved to this area some years ago she has amassed a wide group of good friends who she always has time for. Good person.
Me, I know Bill Next Door. One or two more a bit. Don't bother me tbh.
If I posted her collection of handbags on here I assume she'd be judged, shallow, immoral and a plague on all us poor 'onest woodworker cap-in-'and types by some people who quite possibly have let's say financial resources, that would make my eyes bulge. There's a reason my Mrs doesn't collect handbags since we had kids. Not moaning. Far from it, I count myself extremely fortunate. Top 1 percent.
Don't mean to knock anyone in particular. I just don't understand the undercurrent of resentment.

Anyway.
Unbelievable standard of work as always Bob. Thinking about doing my kitchen soon , I believe the requiste standard for considering new work is when at least half the 20 year old cupboard doors are stored behind the 15 year old fridge. :D There's a reason I made you come in the side gate when you picked up that tree. :? Want to give me a private quote for sh*ts and giggles fella!?!
Ok, probably not. More practically do you know a non Elon Musk price bracket type responsible fitter who might be interested in the next few months?

doctor Bob":2llr0mvj said:
Andy Kev.":2llr0mvj said:

the owners have unbelievable taste, there house is without doubt one of the nicest houses I've had the pleasure to work on and the couple are charming and down to earth.
I'm happy to stand corrected and be shown to be wrong.

bm101: there's no resentment on my part. I'll admit to disliking what I perceive to be superficiality and having a display case built for sunglasses does seem to press that particular button. OTH I'd defend to the hilt anybody's right to indulge themselves in such a way. And of course you're quite right to point out that one really can't judge a person on one aspect of their life. Therefore I'm doubly happy to stand corrected.

Not directing at anyone in particular Andy. Never seen you be less than a Gentleman on here. More generally musings I suppose. I don't reply to political threads for the same reason that arguing on the internet is pointless. No offence meant to anyone either.
Regards
Chris

All cool fellas, just standing my ground a bit, especially as the clients have been unfairly judged. ................

Just going back to the furniture, can I ask if the woven leather was woven in house or it came on a roll off the shelf so to speak, or did you have it commissioned.

tsb":3jw3s2l5 said:
Just going back to the furniture, can I ask if the woven leather was woven in house or it came on a roll off the shelf so to speak, or did you have it commissioned.

The client supplied it, It was supplied as a roll but it may well be bespoke. We just stipulated the quantity and height we needed.

doctor Bob":dz4jxjxa said:
I really like it, certainly don't think it's tacky or monumentally awful.
Yes it's flash and modern but times change guys.
The client is a city lady who needs to look the part and should she choose to spend the same %age of her income on clothes as most wives whats the issue, some guys probably spend a bigger %age of income on handplanes than she does on sunglasses.
Don't get me wrong chaps no one has upset me, but I really don't get the sheer venom of some towards modern furniture and wealth.
The husband is a professional and works huge long hours but is deservedly well remunerated, whats wrong with that?

A lot. No issues with anyone earning a load of dosh but to fritter it on a zillion pairs of sunglasses when some people can't find the money to feed their kids. In light of many of your comments elsewhere Bobble...your workmanship is great..no denying..but you really are a Grade One hypocrite.

Bob, superb work and attention to detail as always.
Can you show us how the cabinet doors are hinged? I would have thought that with such fine bottom clearances there was a risk of scraping the work surface as they opened - but I'm sure you've already got that one covered!
Regards the "waste of money", I don't see a problem if it was honestly obtained. We know nothing about the lady or her husband, but perhaps she works in fashion and - as Bob says needs to look the part. No need to explain anything Bob, just me pointing out that my view is that we shouldn't judge her lifestyle whilst knowing nothing about her.
To me the storage units look more like an efficient way of getting to choose and access the items she wants, rather than a need to admire the stuff.
Carry on the good work, and keep posting, it is good to see such work, even if it is never going to be within reach for most of us.
Duncan

I would echo Duncan’s comments Bob. My daughter enjoys her handbags and sunglasses and having seen the pictures yesterday now knows where to come in a few years time if my woodworking skills have not improved sufficiently to fit out her dressing rooms.

RogerS":2bmkbi7p said:
..but you really are a Grade One hypocrite.

Please stop Roger, I don't want a fight, you do. I haven't got the time, I have told you this repeatedly. Go and look for some other poor sod to fight. I believe I have been reasonably polite about it but I will say it again, my business is on it's buttocks due lockdown, I'm working 7 days a week and you trying to deliberately rattle my cage for your own unique satisfaction of an internet arguement is quite wierd.
I'm not interested in your battle for one upmanship, I wish you well on your quest

RogerS":3r2uavl6 said:
A lot. No issues with anyone earning a load of dosh but to fritter it on a zillion pairs of sunglasses when some people can't find the money to feed their kids. In light of many of your comments elsewhere Bobble...your workmanship is great..no denying..but you really are a Grade One hypocrite.

To be fair, if you've worked hard to earn your own money you should be able to spend it on what you damn well please...

I'm sure you, Roger, wouldn't appreciate comments about yourself in a similar vein... "Why do you live in such a fancy house when some people are living on the street?"

I ain't got any bones to pick with anyone and I don't want to fight, I just don't think it's necessarily fair to judge a person who you have no idea about at all by what they enjoy spending their money on, for all you know they could be stuffing a decent chunk of their earnings into charity, local causes or likewise quietly, I know people that are like that.

Back