Traditional kitchen installed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got it finished so here are a few pics

IMG_1338.jpg

The worktops are solid oak with the addition of about 10,000 coats of Danish oil.

IMG_1339.jpg

It's not quite finished in this picture as the pan rack at the left now has a shelf underneath and racks for the lids

IMG_1340.jpg

Internally all the cupboards are made of beech veneered MDF, the carcasses are all 19mm with 12mm backs so are pretty solid. The shelves are all 19mm veneered MDF edged with solid beech lipping. The plate rack was fun to make. It's mostly solid beech but with beech veneered MDF for the sides and back. All of the curved plate supports are solid beech and fit in routed grooves in the shelves. The door with the silver catch opens down and houses the dishwasher and the door to the right houses a built in fridge.

All the doors are on Hettich Sensys soft close hinges and all the drawers are on Blum Blumotion full extension, 50kg load, soft close runners. The thin 'door' in the right corner is a pull out rack for bottles.

IMG_1341.jpg

All the face frames and door frames are tulip wood which I found very easy to work and took the paint very well.

This project was a first for me in many ways:

• I'd never used solid wood worktops before so the first surprise was the weight! The long worktop is 4m long and 700mm wide and was not exactly easy to move around. It was also the first routed sink cut out I'd ever done so making that initial cut in £350 of oak was a bit daunting to say the least!

I'd never used tulip wood before. I found it a joy to work with; it cuts and joints very easily and is easy on the tools. It also takes paint very well.

I'd never sprayed before so I bought and Earlex HVLP set up and gave it a go. I have to say it's one of the best tools I've ever bought. It's produced the best painted finish I've ever managed.

The design is based on the Chalon kitchens which we felt went well with the type of house we have. Out of curiosity we went into the Chalon shop in Harrogate and were told it would be between £35,000 and £70,000 to do the full kitchen depending on fittings and worktops. Ours came in at just over £2,000 which includes £750 for the oak worktops.

I didn't take as many WIP pics as I should have but here a few showing it under construction. It was a bit of a squeeze to build it in the 20ft x 20ft garage!

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

Thanks for looking and any comments are very welcome.

Cheers
Mike

Looks great - you must be really pleased. What a saving! I hope you can persuade the missus that means you've earned some extra tools for the workshop!

20ft. x 20ft garage?

You had it easy mate!

When I bought my first house, I built a small kitchen with only a small kitchen to work in! :mrgreen:

Nice work just the same!

That's a cracking job Mike - you must be well pleased.

So that'll be tulip wood frames and MDF panels?

Paint job looks brilliant. Which Earlex HVLP unit did you buy? And what paint did you use? And did you make a booth or just in your workshop?

Do you find that with no kicking boards you keep losing stuff under the units?

And that price included all the hardware? Astonishing. Much food for thought here.

Brilliant job Mike, how long did it take. Hard to believe to did the whole thing for only 2 grand :shock:

It was also the first routed sink cut out I'd ever done so making that initial cut in £350 of oak was a bit daunting to say the least!

:D :D :D I know exactly how you feel. Had to rout for an undermount sink and then drainage grooves for a customer into a length of mistral at £595 + vat retail :(

Took me 10 minutes and dozens of double checks just in case before I plucked up courage to make the first router cut - "squeaky bum time" :wink:

P1010004.jpg

P1010007.jpg

cheers

Bob

RogerM":1o9wxhes said:
That's a cracking job Mike - you must be well pleased.

So that'll be tulip wood frames and MDF panels?

Paint job looks brilliant. Which Earlex HVLP unit did you buy? And what paint did you use? And did you make a booth or just in your workshop?

Do you find that with no kicking boards you keep losing stuff under the units?

And that price included all the hardware? Astonishing. Much food for thought here.

Thanks very much.

Yes, it's tulip wood frames and MR-MDF panels.

I bought the Earlex HV5000 set-up and used the standard nozzle, The paint is water based Farrow and Ball. I never made a booth, just covered everything in plastic sheeting from Screwfix. The HVLP setup really doesn't make much mess.

I made the kicking boards lower than the smallest ball the dogs play with so up to now we haven't lost anything under them!

The price includes all hardware (i.e. hinges, drawer runners, sink and taps) but not the fridge or cooker.

Cheers
Mike

I like it mike - thinking of doing something similar and thanks for posting the pics and price. I think a bog standard B&Q / Magnet kitchen would be about £8k ? And the top end are about £25k to £35k - I too wanted something a bit more solid than a B&Q but can't afford even £8k ! Think I will eventually head down the route you took - great work... til then I'll stick with what friend's lovingly call my 'bush kitchen'.... basic to say the least but it moves around the house depending on which room I am working on.

Great job Mike, looks fantastic. How much did you thin the paint down by, i love to use farrow and ball paints and want to use them in my spray system.

ramp34":vv0qmx8z said:
Great job Mike, looks fantastic. How much did you thin the paint down by, i love to use farrow and ball paints and want to use them in my spray system.

I think I ended up thinning it by about 10%. The Earlex spray kit comes with a viscosity cup and I just thinned until it drained through it about 40secs.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike great job you have done. can i ask if you made the wall units and if so was there a reason for the different hinges used as i might try something similar. Thanks

gwr":2pjuyjjl said:
Hi Mike great job you have done. can i ask if you made the wall units and if so was there a reason for the different hinges used as i might try something similar. Thanks

I'll be interested in the answer to this one as well. Also do you need just one soft close hinge per door (with the remainder being simple none soft close) or must all the hinges be of the soft close variety.

And as a supplementary question, given that the Hettich Sensys hinges are £4.40 each, is there an alternative that still does a good soft close job?

Back