Traditional kitchen installed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerM":3a5depqb said:
gwr":3a5depqb said:
Hi Mike great job you have done. can i ask if you made the wall units and if so was there a reason for the different hinges used as i might try something similar. Thanks

I'll be interested in the answer to this one as well. Also do you need just one soft close hinge per door (with the remainder being simple none soft close) or must all the hinges be of the soft close variety.

And as a supplementary question, given that the Hettich Sensys hinges are £4.40 each, is there an alternative that still does a good soft close job?

I did make the wall unit but a long time ago and regretted fitting butt hinges because the doors swing all over and always seem to bang closed. Also they needed magnetic catches as well which never seem to work very well. I might well make new doors for it as one of them has warped and if I do I'll fit the Hettich Sensys hinges as I much prefer them.

I used two per door even though they are a bit pricey, they are well worth it as they look good, work well and are very easy to fit and adjust. I didn't look at many others, they were recommended by Senior over on the 'other side' who seems to know what he's talking about.

Cheers
Mike

Mike,

That is an outstanding job and very inspirational.

So having been inspired are you able to point me in the direction of some plans of exactly how you made the cabinets?

What where the large pieces of woodworking equipment you had to have to achieve this?

Thanks you the help. I'm hopefully moving to a 1930's house that hasn't been touch since about 1940! I will have a garage/workroom which I want to set up and start producing usefully furniture from.

Thanks

LondonBoy

Tony Spear":yb18axp5 said:
20ft. x 20ft garage?

You had it easy mate!

When I bought my first house, I built a small kitchen with only a small kitchen to work in! :mrgreen:
You had a Kitchen? Luxury.... why when I........

:)

LondonBoy":hkkra7gx said:
Mike,
That is an outstanding job and very inspirational.
Thanks very much.

So having been inspired are you able to point me in the direction of some plans of exactly how you made the cabinets?
Unfortunately, I drew all the plans ages ago using Coreldraw and I can no longer run it because I'm now using Windows 7. If I do manage to get it to run I'll get some copies and send you them. If it helps, I'll describe the construction instead:

The carcass sides, bottoms and shelves are made of 19mm beech veneered MDF and the backs are 12mm veneered MDF. They are joined using a combination of biscuits, nails and glue. I made 6 carcasses altogether, two large corner ones, two wide ones for the drawers either side of the cooker and two narrower ones. The corner ones were slightly more complicated but it was all straightforward.

I edged all of the shelves with solid beech about 50mm wide and then rounder them over. This gives them a lot more strength and is much tougher edge than iron on veneer.

The face frames are tulip wood 50mm wide and 20mm thick and they are all joined with mortice & tenon joints. The doors are also tulip wood but with MR MDF panels (6mm thick) and then a moulding has been fitted inside.

The worktops were cut to length with a circular saw, and joined using worktop joiners. The sink hole was routed out.

What where the large pieces of woodworking equipment you had to have to achieve this?
My table saw did most of the work, ripping all the hardwood and as it has a sliding carriage, also cutting all the panels (I make the initial cuts in the 8x4 sheets with a circular saw). All the hardwood was bought rough sawn so I also used the planer/thicknesser a lot. The router table was used for cutting all the grooves in the doors and also for rounding over all the edges of the shelves. Cross-cutting all the frames was done using a sliding mitre saw. I used a nail gun a lot for pinning it all together so you can include the compressor in the list as it's pretty heavy!

I have a bandsaw and a lathe as well but didn't need them for this project

Cheers
Mike

Wow,what a stunning kitchen,you must be very proud of your achievement and the praise you've got.looks abosoloutly faultless very well done.........

Mike
Fantastic Kitchen, where did you buy the kitchen fittings from?, the stainless slide in cupboard fittings and the drawer runners?

Thanks

Mooeee

Hello Mike,

I'm about to start my own kitchen build and very similar to yours, although ill be pleased if it looks half as good....

A quick question to clarify what i cannot quite tell from the pictures - im planning an identical carcass with face frame arrangement but have been trying to work out the issue of brining the drawer slides and hinges flush with the face frames from the thinner 'depth' caused by their being mounted on the carcass - did you use a shim/chock/padding piece - its hard to tell. I think that's what you have done.

Do you just make it so that it is exactly flush with the edge of the face frame and then mount onto that? If so, then i guess it is relatively simple...

famous last words...

Thanks for any hints - i will no doubt be back for more!

Wouldchuk":2xn2jfbm said:
Hello Mike,

I'm about to start my own kitchen build and very similar to yours, although ill be pleased if it looks half as good....

A quick question to clarify what i cannot quite tell from the pictures - im planning an identical carcass with face frame arrangement but have been trying to work out the issue of brining the drawer slides and hinges flush with the face frames from the thinner 'depth' caused by their being mounted on the carcass - did you use a shim/chock/padding piece - its hard to tell. I think that's what you have done.

Do you just make it so that it is exactly flush with the edge of the face frame and then mount onto that? If so, then i guess it is relatively simple...

famous last words...

Thanks for any hints - i will no doubt be back for more!

Hi,

If you look closely at this picture you can see that I fitted wooden shims to the carcass which matched the 'overhang' of the face frame so the runners are flush with the edge of the face frames. I just used offcuts and planed them to fit as they are invisible when the drawers are fitted.

IMG_1229.jpg

Also in this picture, you can see the blocks I put behind the hinges.

IMG_1222.jpg

I think you can get face frame hinges which are cranked to go round the frames but I wanted the Hettich Sensys ones and could only find these ones so I needed the blocks. As these show I made them out of solid beech and rounded them over.

Good luck with yours and if you need any more info, just ask.

Cheers
Mike

Mooeee":1z4qncbo said:
Mike
Fantastic Kitchen, where did you buy the kitchen fittings from?, the stainless slide in cupboard fittings and the drawer runners?

Thanks

Mooeee

Hi,

Thanks. I got the runners and the stainless steel slide from Isaac Lord.

This is the basket http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetai ... 45/546/567 it was pain to fit and get the door straight but it works well.

The runners are Blum TANDEMBOX Drawer Runners: http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetai ... subCat=000

Cheers
Mike

Mike

Thanks very much for the reply, I will take a look at the links you have posted.

Thanks Again

Mooeee

Mike - sorry, i've just PM'd you a bunch of questions which I hope you are able to spare the time to answer - your help much appreciated!

tomatwark":88s039pz said:
Hi Mike

As one of the members on here who does this for a living that is a cracking job you have made there.

Tom

Hi, Tom, new in Jedburgh and got some woodwork to do. Who do you recomment for veneered sheet materials in the Borders?

Best regards

Richard

First time I have seen this a cracking job you should be proud of what you have achieved
Treat yourself to a bigger workshop with all that saving

rehaylock":1j494z3v said:
new in Jedburgh and got some woodwork to do. Who do you recomment for veneered sheet materials in the Borders? Richard

Try these guys:

NESP - 0845 6349700 http://www.nesp.co.uk

they are based in the North East but I'm pretty sure they deliver to the borders with their own lorries.
I buy Mistral worktops from them but have had veneered sheets and edging tape. find them very reliable and competitive prices. Also sell some hardware and accessories.

Bob

Hi Richard

What are you wanting ?

There are not any sheet suppliers in the the borders as such, but Tweedside Timber in Berwick stock some and will get other stuff for you. I use them for odds and ends.

I use various people for my sheet materials and tend to use the larger companies like Meyer Timber in Newcastle but I am normally buying 10 plus sheets at ago.

Most of the builders merchants have accounts with the larger guys and will get stuff for you.

Tom

Great job! Well done!

I'm planning to make my kitchen in a new build and have just completed finished building a test cabinet. Just have to spray and fit.

Oh I like that. Congrats on a lovely job.
I start ripping my kitchen out next week in order to do a similar job. Trouble is, now I've seen this one ....................

steve

Thanks, Tom. I'll be after beech/birch veneered 19 mm mdf to turn into shelving (to start with) New house, needs shelves everywhere! I've found a Glasgow firm that ships 2440 x 610, which is very handy as I need shelves 300mm deep! A bit of rebated solid to go on the front edge and underneath plus the brackets and I'm done!

R

Back