Shower Room Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petiegolfer

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the last 6 months or so I have been up dating our shower room. I have undertaken all of the work myself...a fairly steep learning curve in some instances! :shock:

It was a gut it and start again job. The room measures 2100x1800. It had horrible avacado tiles floor to ceiling and a matching suite...yummmm not :wink: The floor was screeded concrete. I really dont like boxing in pipes at low level so decided to dumy in a wall to hide the rad and sink pipes and then the waste and the pipes to the toilet cistern.

The wall dummied in on the rt hand side of the sink then enabled me to let back the heated towel rail onto the original wall, as the door was being rehung to open onto that wall...all worked out as I went really.

The toilet cistern was cut into the window reveal to maximise floor space. A 6x2 frame work holds it in place and marmox board insulates it and water proofs from the outer skin. All sorts of thinking out involved in that one...self tapping srews etc etc. Further work was require as the old waste pipe was now made redundant being virtually in the middle of the floor...bit of a strange one that...new pipes out the wall new hopper for sink and shower waste and silly whilst I was at it not to sort out an outside tap. Toilet does not move at all...biggest sH!tter opps sitter so far 17st

Tile 100x100mm lots of em and the pattern sorted with this....

http://www.iansharpe.com/getfile.php?dl=xltiling

very very good made the pattern hugely better than doing it yourself! Ruby cutter was best purchase £70 but made life a load easier!

Shower was from Matki and fitted perfectly in the space left once the old shower cubicle was ripped out...must have looked at 100's of showers without finding one to fit thought of loads of different layouts only to have a eureka moent looking back through the Matki brouchure and doing a double take...how did I miss that its is perfect!! :D Base was turnip heavy and needed Paul from over the road to help put down on cement base. Glass went in easy in comparison. Walls were cut back to block work 20mm Marmox lining put in tiles then base in and then last row of tiles sealed over tiling lip on the base...if it leaks I will be shocked!

The shower its self is a Grohe wireless jobby...I chose it as it allows you to finish the whole bathroom and then just one 25mm hole in the ceiling and two fixing screws and bons your uncle its in...the box of tricks lives in the ceiling and you make it work with the controls. No pipes buried in the wall no fuss very easy.

Still got a bit to do to finish off got to stain uo the ply and get the towel rail in and finish a bit of grouting and then its done. I have personally pushed the envelope on this project aquired lots of new skills. Mrs C likes it but it came in way over budget...(tool purchases saw to that).

Next year I have the main bathroom to do...Mrs C is firmly in control of A) the budget B) the time it takes C) It has to be more frilly...Yuk! :D

Full pics on flick R dont know how to get em on here...go to for loads of pics....a bit back to front with regards order.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22816064@N06/

Any questions fire away!

Piers

Whole thing is very nice,but particularly like the slightly unusual shape of the sink :D

Good luck with the main bathroom!

Andrew

All along the way my thinking was to make it as clean and simple as possible. With two boys under 8...a wall hung pan and tiles on the floor make things much more hygenic :?

The sink and the pan were also chosen to give the illusion of space ie the more floor you could see the bigger things would look. I liked the fact that the sink was all in one no need for any support...free floating.

Part P? Whats that? :? ..... was hurdled by a friend with the quallys....one of the benefits of playing golf is that I know quite a few guys I can call on. In return I make clubs for em...dont know if you spotted the out of place club making picture?

I am going to start making a mirror / cabnet at the week end a mini project with in the main one. Kind of based on a £450 metal one I saw...very nice but £450 :shock: I will post progress of that as it happens.

Thanks for the input, In some ways I can wait till 09 to start the next major project and in some ways I cant. Going to enjoy this summer with the kids with out the spector of having to get something done all the time. It is always good having stuff going round in your head and problems to solve.

Day job is all mental and nothing tangable in the physical sense of things so its really thereputic to make stuff.

Piers

That looks really nice Piers. I particularly like the tiles.

btw, see here for getting photos from Flickr into your posts.

Back