Shove ha'penny board?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow - I haven't heard anyone even mention one of these since my dad made one when I was kid....... back around '76 :LOL:

Goes along with darts and doms? Cheap, takes little room and keeps drinkers occupied.
I think skittles (various types) were more popular further S than Yorks.

My dad liked his dominoes - a game with him was a Christmas treat when I was little. He did teach me to play Cribbage when I was about 7 - 'as a aid to learning the maths' !

Oops yes, cribbage too. Brilliant to teach arithmetic (and strategy?)
Now it's one arm bandits and pool tables? Worse - staring at mobile phones? ;-)

Ahhhhh! the good old days when I was at school, I went to the pub for lunch, A pie and a pint for 1/11.

I really think the world has gone crazy, but that's what happens when you get old, the world changes more that you are comfortable with, so you just get grumpy!! lol

I really think the world has gone crazy, but that's what happens when you get old, the world changes more that you are comfortable with, so you just get grumpy!! lol
Bit of both? We change and the world changes around us.
Adapting becomes more difficult with age.
"The only constant is change"?

Change?? lol I'm still exactly the same as when I was 19..... A long haired Bolshie, hippy, rebel. :LOL: :LOL:

Oops yes, cribbage too. Brilliant to teach arithmetic (and strategy?)
As an ex pub cribbage champion & runner up in previous years, once you have learned the rules, there is not a lot of skill needed.
It's mainly luck in the hand that you are dealt.
Same applies to dominoes. As long as you know there are seven of each number (in the normal double six set), that sets the choice of what to play if you are not pushed ie can only play one domino.

I made a full size Northamptonshire skittles table when I moved to Kent! So I could practice, however it doesn't get much use. It's upcycled from old school table tops and legs, which can be removed to make it smaller to store. I had a go at turning some cheeses and pins out of boxwood. Hardwork, but if you persevere, a good result is attained. DSC_0592.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0772.JPG
    DSC_0772.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0704.JPG
    DSC_0704.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 16
I remember my grandfather's board, which I'm sure was mahogany or walnut, and instead of simple grooves which you could run a penny through, it had inlaid brass strips, which were hinged at one end, so you could lift them up to see if a coin was on the line or over it.

We spent hours playing with it, as well as dominoes, and shut-the-box, which he made in his shed.

The World Shove HaPenny competition was held in Shepton Mallet in Somerset for several years. There is a thriving Shove league in the district. (Well, was till this year of the little c) we ran a B&B at the time and had guests from all over Europe staying for the comp as we were ideally placed to roll home drunk after the cebrations.

You piqued my interest, and I found Shove Ha'p'ny Board which has some good (although may be incorrect for all I know) information about play, board sizes and slot widths (which are important, as I have learned today).

I also understand that there are copper disks that can be bought as ha'penny replacements, but someone is selling originals specifically for the game: Shove Ha'penny Coins

Better get up in my loft. Loads of old pre-decimal coins up there that father saved.

Nigel.

Jaques still sell the coins and boards. Lubricate board with french chalk. Grooves are better than inlay, easier to see if the coin is in the bed. Some boards had brass inserts in the grooves which could be raised to check that the coins were properly in the bed. Whatever you do don't touch the surface with french polish!

I also understand that there are copper disks that can be bought as ha'penny replacements, but someone is selling originals specifically for the game: Shove Ha'penny Coins

At many, many times their worth. :oops: An old halfpenny to play with shouldn't cost more than 10p.

As for the coins - the old ha'penies were called 'coppers' and were actually made of real copper - not a hard ferrous alloy as today's coins are.

Bronze from 1860-1970. Copper before 1860 but the coins were larger. :)

A bit "to the side" of the main topic this post - "Annie's room".

When I was a kid and lost something, so asked my Mum, especially if she was in a rush she'd often just say "Up in Annie's room behind the wallpaper". At the time I didn't pay much attention to the saying itself (just enough to know I shouldn't ask again until the temperature cooled a bit!), but seeing that TV program and this thread causes me to wonder about the origin of my Mum's Annie's room saying.

Any comments fellas? And BTW, as a young lad in the the 60s in the RAF in E.Yorks I did play shove 'appeny in a very small pub in the back streets of Beverley, called, would you believe, "Annies". (I was never any good at the game though).

Back