Shove ha'penny board?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit "to the side" of the main topic this post - "Annie's room".

When I was a kid and lost something, so asked my Mum, especially if she was in a rush she'd often just say "Up in Annie's room behind the wallpaper". At the time I didn't pay much attention to the saying itself (just enough to know I shouldn't ask again until the temperature cooled a bit!), but seeing that TV program and this thread causes me to wonder about the origin of my Mum's Annie's room saying.

Any comments fellas? And BTW, as a young lad in the the 60s in the RAF in E.Yorks I did play shove 'appeny in a very small pub in the back streets of Beverley, called, would you believe, "Annies". (I was never any good at the game though).

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/wordhistories.net/2017/09/22/annies-room-meanings/amp/

The knock on effect of your request is that I now rather fancy making one of those skittle games. I've seen one that had self setting pins, you simply pulled on a cord to make the pins reset. If anyone has any plans and sizes please let me know.
In my early married life I made a bar billiards table by copying one in a local bar, I was skint so home entertainment involved home brewed beer and billiards with friends. The arrival of a family ( and colour tv) saw the table sold , it's probably still in use in a spare bedroom somewhere in Derby.
Hi, I got this from a charity eBay site it was missing a skittle, ball and length of pole purchased 2 short lengths hardwood dowel and shaped the replacement skittle on a bead lathe. luckily it had top half of pole with the swivel arm but it's just a piece of sheet brass between brass discs so easily made.so if you still want to make one I can take all the measurements for you.

Attachments

• WP_20211023_18_56_27_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211023_18_56_27_Pro.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 4
  • WP_20211023_19_01_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211023_19_01_17_Pro.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 3
  • WP_20211023_19_02_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211023_19_02_33_Pro.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back