Should I buy this Model ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W00dy1711

Reaction score
Hi,
Brand new to the wood turning. Looking to purchase this off ebay as a starter. It is a nutool lathe nwl37-2 ahich i understand is very similar to the ClarkCWL12D.

I'm going to look / pick up tomorrow evening and so if anyone could give me any pointers as to what to check for, I would be very grateful.

It looks in good nick but as I say I'm new to this game.

Here is the ebay item number if you wish to take a look - 142528088968

Regards and thanks in advance

P

personally, i would give it a miss.

i think that you will quickly out grow its capability and soon identify that the quality is poor. It appears to be a starter set, but to be honest it looks like cheap rubbish sold together. Something by Record Power or Axminster would be a better bet, and if you buy used and want to upgrade at a later date, then you wont lose much on it. depending on what you want to turn, but the jet 1014 is a great little lathe, and should be around your budget if you are patient.

The problem that you have is that you are just starting out and so need all of the kit. You would be better to join a club in the first instance. somebody may well be selling something more suitable when they upgrade.

You might be happy with it but I think you could do better.
It's the same under the skin as mine, which I bought about 20 years ago. I don't turn much - occasional bits and pieces only - and I'm happy with mine, BUT I bought mine from Axminster who upgraded all the locking knobs with proper Bristol levers, and I think you would soon get annoyed with what is there. Especially on the tailstock, which should have a big heavy knurled ring for tightening it up, not a mess of a tommy bar.

The chuck thread will be 3/4" 16tpi which was popular back then but might limit you to equally old chucks if you want to expand your workholding options.
Overall, it seems a very optimistic asking price. The chuck in the picture looks incomplete.

The turning tools shown would have been included in the original deal and are cheap high carbon steel, not the HSS that most turners use now.

The other thing that i was going to write, which Andy's post reminded me:

A chuck is not essential, and I would rather do without than pay for an incomplete one. It really depends what you want to turn but there are certainly ways around HAVING to have a chuck.

3/4" x 16 tpi chucks are still fairly readily available. Record power also used this size until a couple of years ago.

The sellers other items appear to be a bit "optimistic" too.

Thanks for the advice chaps. Didn't realise that the chuck was incomplete ( see i dont know what i'm talking about )

Think i may give it a amiss

regards

P

I got into turning when i was at school. Used some well made machines there and formed a passion for it.

When i left school my uncle (having seen some of my work) loaned me his nutool nwl37-2 .. All i can say is it was horrific. Its hands down the worst lathe ive ever had the misfortune to use. I persevered with it for over a year and it almost put me off turning for life. Thankfully i saved up to buy something better and im still using it almost 20 years later. a lathe is a one time purchase if you buy a good one so do yourself a favour and save up for something decent

Alexfn":lgjbe9t3 said:
I got into turning when i was at school. Used some well made machines there and formed a passion for it.

When i left school my uncle (having seen some of my work) loaned me his nutool nwl37-2 .. All i can say is it was horrific. Its hands down the worst lathe ive ever had the misfortune to use. I persevered with it for over a year and it almost put me off turning for life. Thankfully i saved up to buy something better and im still using it almost 20 years later. a lathe is a one time purchase if you buy a good one so do yourself a favour and save up for something decent

in the interest of fairness, yes its a poor lathe, but this is the worse lathe ever!

SM1308.jpg

My school bought one and i was the first to use it and promptly split the casting the locked the tool rest in place! To be fair I got a new part and turned a rounders bat out of nasty old pine which I still have to this day!

Adidat

Hi again,

Seen this one that is local to me also now. ??

Record No. 1 Coronet Wood Turning Lathe With Base Unit (search for this on GUMTREE to view)

Ad ID: 1269992049

I think although it doesnt come with any tools, this would be a better purchase. ??????

Any views / thoughts ???

Regards

P

I have a Clarke lathe, bought off eBay when I knew nothing about lathes and turning.

What a disappointment, here's a run down of the main reasons I don't like it.
1) the lathe bed is welded to the motor housing, this promptly split when I tightened the tail stock up to a spindle. I have has to re-weld this and mount the whole lathe on a strong length of timber though it is still not really strong enough.
2) all the tool rest and tail stock clamping is done with big nuts and bolts, this means you have to use a big spanner to adjust them, when turning this soon gets lost under all the shavings.
3) the tail stock is a simple acme thread screw with a bearing mounted centre point on the end, you cannot remove this to fit a drill chuck for centre boring a work piece.
4) speed adjustment is with a belt and series of pulleys, not much room for adjustment and has to be done manually with the lathe off.
5) the optional 4 jaw chuck is not self centring, each of the four chucks has to be tightened individually making it hard to centre a work piece.

In short I would recommend you stay well clear and wait to buy something better.

will1983":3vphj639 said:
I have a Clarke lathe, bought off eBay when I knew nothing about lathes and turning.

What a disappointment, here's a run down of the main reasons I don't like it.
1) the lathe bed is welded to the motor housing, this promptly split when I tightened the tail stock up to a spindle. I have has to re-weld this and mount the whole lathe on a strong length of timber though it is still not really strong enough.
2) all the tool rest and tail stock clamping is done with big nuts and bolts, this means you have to use a big spanner to adjust them, when turning this soon gets lost under all the shavings.
3) the tail stock is a simple acme thread screw with a bearing mounted centre point on the end, you cannot remove this to fit a drill chuck for centre boring a work piece.
4) speed adjustment is with a belt and series of pulleys, not much room for adjustment and has to be done manually with the lathe off.
5) the optional 4 jaw chuck is not self centring, each of the four chucks has to be tightened individually making it hard to centre a work piece.

In short I would recommend you stay well clear and wait to buy something better.

This is the sort of info that is needed for beginners like me. I was looking at the Clarke and Lumberjack models and would never have realised about the tail stock being so limited, the adjustments or the fragility of the device.
I would have wasted my money by all accounts but luckily a Axminster APTC 330 came up locally in need of a bit of TLC(a good clean and grease) but as solid as a rock. Not used yet as need some guidance and a tour of Europe coming up from next week but it all revolves well.
Thanks Will for a good post, just the sort of information that needs to be out there. =D>
Rob

Latest posts

Back