Shopmade Jigs and tips...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just think it's a shame that ideas can't be discussed openly without all the extreme reactions from BOTH sides of the coin. Quite ridiculous; like kids squabbling over a toy.
Oh well, if it's here and it can be easily found, fine. If people want me (and others) to go elsewhere, thats fine too. I certainly won't be making, or endorsing, any further suggestions for this site. Some people take it, and themselves, way too seriously.

I feel the same way too Steve, the overiding idea of a forum is SPECIFICALLY for members to air their views, I have read NOTHING nasty or critical of the mods and Charley so far, but you are right, their are some on the forum who seem to think that once they have posted, all others should fall into line, these posters also post on other sites and create dissent there also, they know who they are, and they are the ones who should feel ashamed, not, the genuine posters, who have the forum at heart.
Charley and the Mods, keep up the good work!

Regards,
Rich.

Well I am another one who would like a jig section. I would also like to see the person who made such an uncalled for attack on Charley and the moderators banned. Such an attack is disgusting and saddens me deeply. I think that what Steve has said is the right of it and as far as I am concerned it is entirely upto Charley as to whether or not he feels like replying. And one other point to note, is that there is a section for suggestions and ideas for the forum. It might get a better response if this request was posted there.

Why should that person be banned - because of a tongue in cheek remark, didn't realise we were living in CHINA.

Grow up all I have read nothing offensive on this thread.

Harry

I totally agree with Rich and Steve and do agree on the whole that Charley and the Mods do a fine job but surely you must agree that Charley could easily sort this all out with a simple Yes or No! why are we getting the silent treatment maybe he's on holiday?

I would also like to see this debate resolved one way or another. When Charley gets an opportunity to read this thread, I'm sure he'll take note of the comments and let us know what he sees as being the way forward.

It would be wonderful if Charley could spend more time on this forum, but he has other obligations and finds it difficult enough to make time for visiting his workshop, never mind visiting the forum. Although the subject has arisen before, this particular thread has only been running for less than a week. In the grand scheme of things that's not very long, so let's all try to be patient.

Gill

Gill":2i3r7u1o said:
I would also like to see this debate resolved one way or another. When Charley gets an opportunity to read this thread, I'm sure he'll take note of the comments and let us know what he sees as being the way forward.

It would be wonderful if Charley could spend more time on this forum, but he has other obligations and finds it difficult enough to make time for visiting his workshop, never mind visiting the forum. Although the subject has arisen before, this particular thread has only been running for less than a week. In the grand scheme of things that's not very long, so let's all try to be patient.

Gill

Thank you Gill for having the temerity to reply, at least we now know this thread is being monitored, I'm sure we all realise Charley is a busy chap and he does a GREAT job, but sometimes you have to nip "something" in the bud to stop it becoming a problem.

REGARDS,
Rich.

There is a downside, which is once you start sub-dividing, you end up with uncontrollable expansion of semi-dead sub-fora, which are extremely tedious as you have scroll up and down loads to monitor what is new, where.

And then most of the 'benefit' of the jigs forum will be when there are one or two pages and everything is nice and compact. After a year or two there will be 5/10/20 pages, and everyone will be clamouring to split it up into mortice and tenon jig forum and a dovetail jig forum & etc because they can't find what they need without using the search function/google.

Hmm,,,been following this one all week,,,and just gone back and re-read it....and my take on what's been posted thus far is....

- a number of people would like to see a jigs and tips section or whatever for a number of good reasons,,,,

- Steve makes a good point about bookmarks etc, but for the newbie, and I still count myself in that category, it doesn't really work. (that could just be me :?

- Charley hasn't yet responded, but then he may be busy, otherwise engaged, or just not had the chance,,,,

- lots of folks are getting wound up and hot under the collar

Maybe if one or more of the folks who really want a jigs and tips section were to volunteer to be a moderator, it would take some of the pressure of Charley ??

We all like this forum, we all, (well I do), find it immensly useful, amusing, and for the most part very friendly,,,,so if we want something, why not work out how we can help Charley....

Hi all,

I wasn't being reticent at all. In-fact I've been away all week on my UKW funded yacht in the south of France :wink: :lol:

Seriously though, I've been out climbing for most of this week which is why I haven't spotted this thread until I received an email about it today. UKW isn't a business like it's been suggested. I'm sure it could be if I had the time to invest in it but at this moment of my life I don't.

I dislike visiting forums which have many sections and sub-sections which is why I've always been reluctant to add new sections to UKW. I haven't read all the posts in this thread but it's pretty obvious that a jigs section on the forums will be popular.

Although creating the new section will only take a few seconds it's not as simple as that. Not only will it take a considerable amount of time to move all the jig related threads to the new section but it'll also mean there'll be another section to moderate so it's not as easy as just clicking a few buttons. As this decision will effect the moderators by giving them yet another area to monitor and look after, I'll have a word with them for their input as well.

Anyway, sorry for not replying sooner. I didn't mean to keep everyone waiting for a reply.

Thanks Charley. Plenty of supporters here willing to help where needed.

WiZeR":155tbjgr said:
Thanks Charley. Plenty of supporters here willing to help where needed.

Definitely..I'm sure there are plenty of us willing to help out where needed.
Cheers
Timmo

Charley":2wwdyu94 said:
Hi all,

I wasn't being reticence at all. In-fact I've been away all week on my UKW funded yacht in the south of France :wink: :lol:

:lol:

Thanks for the reply. Would it not be easier to start over with an empty forum and have people resubmit ideas? Might save a lot of work.

MDF_HAKA":nvqwky5x said:
Charley":nvqwky5x said:
Hi all,

I wasn't being reticence at all. In-fact I've been away all week on my UKW funded yacht in the south of France :wink: :lol:

:lol:

Thanks for the reply. Would it not be easier to start over with an empty forum and have people resubmit ideas? Might save a lot of work.

That is exactly what I figured would happen..then people can just post their own jigs with hopefully not too much draw on the mods time...

Charley

Glad your back to sort this out... sorry if I thought you were ignoring us all.

Don't worry about putting all previous jigs threads posted to the jigs section I'm sure if people have jigs they think are of interest then they will post them again in the correct place... :wink:

I agree with the others Charley, let us just post new into a jigs forum. I am sure members wouldn't mind posting afresh into it. It would also help in having jigs all in one place. :wink:

Back