Shop vac buying advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blister":1y77u18o said:
When you say shop vac are you intending to use it for vacuuming the workshop or attaching it to power tools ?

Well I was hoping I could get something that did both, or do they not really exist in an efficient form?

I'm really just looking for something that I can vacuume saw dust with and general mess, and also position on power tools for some dust extraction.
Sorry, should've been more specific,

Thanks

I have a Record wet and dry vac that has a 3 pin plug fitting , when you plug a power tool into it and fire up the tool it fires up the Record vac , its OK for short duration use , for longer use its better to use a extractor rathe than a vacuum

Blister":5ufb2dgt said:
I have a Record wet and dry vac that has a 3 pin plug fitting , when you plug a power tool into it and fire up the tool it fires up the Record vac , its OK for short duration use , for longer use its better to use a extractor rathe than a vacuum

What would you class as longer use?

Thanks.

LFS19":3683bbpy said:
Blister":3683bbpy said:

Thanks.

!0 - 15 mins with a vac , 1 hour plus with a extractor when I am turning

Blister":1bk4caxa said:
LFS19":1bk4caxa said:
Blister":1bk4caxa said:

Thanks.

!0 - 15 mins with a vac , 1 hour plus with a extractor when I am turning

I see, thank you.

We have a Camvac at my wood turning club and it's very quiet, wish I'd known before I bought my Record one as it sounds like a plane taking off. I've also got a Nilfisk wet and dry which isn't bad but still noisier than the Camvac.

I have a Lidl special vacuum, it has a power take-off socket and works like a dream. Noisy yes, but as I am usually using it with a power tool on that is not the biggest issue in the world. No back-to-back testing so can't compare with more expensive models, but I have to say it does suck very well. But then you will need to be patient and wait for them to come around again at Lidl, so may not work for you.

Terry.

I use a Draper WDV1400 but I don't think they do the same model now. Power tool take off, 3m hose, big plastic drum, nylon filter to allow the dust to settle in the drum. I use it with a cyclone now. Noisy, yes but no worse than a 2000W router and I'll have my cans on anyway.

woodpig":1wku3hvc said:
We have a Camvac at my wood turning club and it's very quiet, wish I'd known before I bought my Record one as it sounds like a plane taking off. I've also got a Nilfisk wet and dry which isn't bad but still noisier than the Camvac.

Are all the camvacs quiet compared to the record/sip similar style extractors do you know? Or do you have to pick one with some specific spec? Cheers, Carl.

pike":2z18biyp said:
woodpig":2z18biyp said:

Are all the camvacs quiet compared to the record/sip similar style extractors do you know? Or do you have to pick one with some specific spec? Cheers, Carl.

I've no idea Carl but if you look at the Record extractors like my RSDE1 they exhaust the air through a cowling at the top of the machine. In the description for the Camvac they say "The lid features an acoustic outlet for the motor". I don't know the exact model of Camvac we have at the club but suspect it's one of the little 36L ones.

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/dust-extraction

Even running my quieter Nilfisk while I'm turning is a chore, wish I'd known about the Camvac but I've spent enough on extraction already.

its not as easy as all that, a sander needs high pressure low volume (HPLV) to extract fine dust, together with a 0.5 micron filter or better, a vacuum cleaner could be that spec, but check the filter specification to see if it meets your needs, I would recommend the Numatic brand with two twin flow motors and the Hepa bag fitted.

For a Planner, Saw etc: or otherwise you need a chip extractor low presser high volume (LPHV) to collect the heavier bits coming off these type of machines again the filter needs to meet your requirements and obviously the material being machined, if you use MDF than we are back to the need for a very fine filter.

No getting away from it, in the end you have to have both.

Mike

Good point, but I thought he said it was for powertools dust. LFS19 what tools is it for?

For portable tools (usually needing a high pressure low volume "vacuum"): Festool. The CTL26 is superb.

For high volume low pressure (i.e. impeller based extractors for large fixed machinery) I have a Fox 843, ejecting into an outside hopper (not using the filter bags). I suspect many similar models would be just as good, but you really do want to be moving significant volumes of air for these types of machines to capture dust as well as chips.

The problem with most HVLP extractors is the filtration, most will not capture dust unless they are fitted with a pleated paper filter, most bag filters these extractors are supplied with will not capture dust below 5 microns let alone 0.5.

Mike

MikeJhn":116cod0j said:
The problem with most HVLP extractors is the filtration, most will not capture dust unless they are fitted with a pleated paper filter, most bag filters these extractors are supplied with will not capture dust below 5 microns let alone 0.5.

Mike
Absolutely; hence a cyclonic separator is good - you get the "big" stuff (anything you can see) to drop into a hopper, and put only the smallest exhaust dust through a really good fine filter.

The problem after all of this separation is then disposing of the stuff you were trying not to breath in, no matter what you do in the end you still get exposed in one way or another, I always wear my Trend Powered hood when I am emptying my extractor bags, give the top filter a good turn of the paddle to shake out any dust present and then wheel the thing outside to take off the bag, luckily the neighbours can't see me in my Darth Vada gear. LOL

Mike

Back