Shop vac buying advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeJhn":r6d0ic4g said:
The problem after all of this separation is then disposing of the stuff you were trying not to breath in, no matter what you do in the end you still get exposed in one way or another, I always wear my Trend Powered hood when I am emptying my extractor bags, give the top filter a good turn of the paddle to shake out any dust present and then wheel the thing outside to take off the bag, luckily the neighbours can't see me in my Darth Vada gear. LOL

Mike
Agreed, but it's much better than having the dust going through bad filters when doing the actual cutting.

I do tend to wear the Trend hood whenever I'm doing machined cutting anyway, as I've breathed in way too much nasty stuff over the years.

Sounds good but almost too good!? What's its weakness over the expense and space of two machines, one for dust and one for chips?

Problem with them is lack of air flow to service chips of any size, the Camvac twin motor is 160lts/sec which equates to 576m3/hr even my little Kitty 439 PT asks for 700m3/hr in its spec.

Mike

Interesting. Exact same PT as me too. Thing is it's the only tool I've got that needs a different extractor.

pike

I used to use a 2400Watt Numatic vacuum on the Kitty, but on planning it left a lot behind in the chute, just right to empty on the floor when you removed it, I now use a 2000m3/hr chip extractor and nothing gets left behind anywhere.

Mike

Sounds good. I just have to decide if I use it enough to justify a dedicated extractor. Cheers.

I have a larger chip extractor for planner,
but for sanding & mitre saw I got a Henry hoover,great chap and very quiet I must say as well!

Compared to the chip extractor my Numatic is a bit like the Space Shuttle amazing amount of noise, in fact its the noisiest thing in the whole shop, but boy does it get rid of the dust, the last time I emptied it after routing some MDF the bag was solid with dust, but was still extracting well, I only emptied it because I had finished routing the panels.

Mike

Just a heads up for anyone interested. Lidl are selling a wet/dry workshop vacuum with power through on Thursday for 60 quid.

I'll be getting one :)

Latest posts

Back