Shop made jigs and tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice jig, I also like your knobs you posted earlier, pretty nifty use of ply.
Also an engineer here, so I also wonder about the use of readouts which are to 1/100 of a millimeter. Accuracy is not the same as the number of digits in the readout, as you are saying, total achievable accuracy with a jig is also dependent on the material properties, the accuracy of the router, play in the jig or elsewhere etc.
On the other hand, it IS common practice in engineering, when developing a capable tool/process to make sure that the measurement is at least 10 times the accuracy needed, so with that in mind, having a digital ruler with ample readout accuracy does make sense.

When you look back over the last twenty years there were lots of shop made jigs and fixtures being posted on ww forums.
Today I think, although I stand to be corrected, that its far to easy to go and buy from the net.

If you look in, show us what the last thing you made forum that too has changed.
Its mainly turnings and a few boxes. Traditional furniture photos are scarce. Very few chairs, dining tables, display cabinets fullsize book cases etc

Maybe we are at the bottom of a trough where woodworking in general isnt as popular and waiting for the reinvention like the popularity of gardening and associated tv programmes got done to death and seems also in the doldrums.

Im sick of youtube wood working videos too.
The days of Norm and his series at least gave you proper time to absorb exactly what he was doing in an unrushed manor.

People tended to share more jigs and fixtures they made back then or at least appeared to.
Maybe most of the kreg, and rockler jigs etc are metal representatons of ideas that came from the ww forums and people got wise?
Could that be a reason?

At one time jig making appeared to be a hobby on it's own to some people. It just went overboard. Just as gadgetry went overboard.
The apparent decline in woodworking may have something to do with the gadgetry explosion and it's consequent costs scaring people away.

This is the latest jig I made. For laying out corner notches.

Attachments

• IMG_4959.JPG
    IMG_4959.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I think we have got a bit lazy or addicted to anodised alloy. There is a place for some of these jigs due to the level of precision needed, ie dowel jigs but for many other task it is easy to just knock one up but there does seem to be a tendency for people to first look at buying a solution rather than making one.

Aye. I agree. Thre was once a rather bizarre discussion on a forum where the think tank tried to figure out which factory made and expensive router jig that would be best for a job which I told them I normally do in a matter of seconds with a hatchet.

When you look back over the last twenty years there were lots of shop made jigs and fixtures being posted on ww forums.
Today I think, although I stand to be corrected, that its far to easy to go and buy from the net.

If you look in, show us what the last thing you made forum that too has changed.
Its mainly turnings and a few boxes. Traditional furniture photos are scarce. Very few chairs, dining tables, display cabinets fullsize book cases etc

Maybe we are at the bottom of a trough where woodworking in general isnt as popular and waiting for the reinvention like the popularity of gardening and associated tv programmes got done to death and seems also in the doldrums.

Im sick of youtube wood working videos too.
The days of Norm and his series at least gave you proper time to absorb exactly what he was doing in an unrushed manor.

People tended to share more jigs and fixtures they made back then or at least appeared to.
Maybe most of the kreg, and rockler jigs etc are metal representatons of ideas that came from the ww forums and people got wise?
Could that be a reason?
Most people make a work bench and then get bored!!
I blame utube!!

Question is does woodworking come before or after road cycling in the mid life crisis before golf!🤣🤣🤣

Most people make a work bench and then get bored!!
I blame utube!!

Question is does woodworking come before or after road cycling in the mid life crisis before golf!🤣🤣🤣

You've forgotten painting and embroidery.......

One thing you don't need a jig for is pocket hole screws. Defeats the whole object in fact. It's just a quick but crude way of fixing simple things together.
I did a little table recently and pocket hole screwed the top on in about 5 minutes. 6 screws.
There is little trick - you drill the opposite way to the direction of the screw and come out at the head end, which you can then tidy up with a countersink, chisel, whatever, if you want to, hence forming "the pocket". Usually out of sight so no need.
PS Just googled - I see there's daft gadget industry built on the idea!

Last edited:
Personally I enjoy looking at ( and attempting to fathom their working ) "homemade / shopmade" jigs , thank you to the people who post theirs. A shame this thread died.
To Derek , Andsor, ola c etc who posted theirs.Yes :) I would very much like to see more.

Last edited:
Fixtures: hand tools and power tools ...

1. Moxon vise

The-Last-Moxon-html-7dc7c35.jpg

Entry-Hall-Table-For-ANiece2-html-m240a82df.jpg

2. Ramped shooting board and strike block plane ...

Buildinga-Strike-Block-Plane-html-71a1e942.jpg

3. Donkeys Ear ...

Buildinga-Mitred-Pencil-Boxwitha-Shooting-Board-html-m536ec68c.jpg

4. Adjustable Sticking Board ...

AdjustableStickingBoard2_html_m32531582.jpg

AdjustableStickingBoard2_html_m6d3441d5.jpg

5. Drawer planing ...

1a.jpg

7a.jpg

6. Tenon Guide ...

TenonGuide_html_m21df641b.jpg

TenonGuide_html_33b0e517.jpg

TenonGuide_html_m454b1c54.jpg

7. Adjustable Morticing Guide ...

(sucks to Paul Sellers - he needs 7 fixed guides to this single adjustable version)

MorticingGuide_html_211eacaa.jpg

MorticingGuide_html_m776897dc.jpg

Many, many more of these.

Some Power Tool Fixtures ...

1. Mitre guide for Hammer K3 slider

1a.jpg

2. Router fence (attached to K3 rip fence, which has micro adjustability)

1.jpg

3. MFT table, rail hinge and rail fence

9.jpg

4. Micro adjuster for K3 crosscut fence

1.jpg

5. Taper Guide for K3 slider

9.jpg

6. Parallel Guide for the K3 slider

1.jpg

4.jpg

7. For ReSaw Fence for bandsaw, go here ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered Tools and Machinery/ResawingOnTheBandsaw.html
Enough for now.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited:
Frank Ford's "backwards" drillbit for flat bottomed countersinking.

Franks backwards counter.jpg
vlcsnap-2022-06-15-01h55m09s600.png

Bent rod for getting table 90
SAM_5644.JPG

Round stock for tramming, basically like a large calipers
Tramming vise.png

Bump stop for indexed drilling, i.e for accurately centering the work again after the swapping out the pilot

A poor mans cross slide
vlcsnap-2022-05-05-15h36m19s948.png

Attachments

• 1678482632869.jpeg
    1678482632869.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back