SHOCK Axminster have let me down on delivery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomatwark

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been buying from Axminster for a long time and have never had a problem with delivery and any problems I have with products have been sorted in the usual Axminster way.

But I ordered some stuff on Monday evening expecting to get it today, only to find they have started to use a new courier Yodel.

After a couple of calls I have found Yodel do not offer a next day service to me ( all the other real carriers do and from hubs further away) with the result on one of the few occasions I need the stuff now I have not got it.

I am not pleased to say the least and have asked Axminster that in future to send my stuff either with FEDEx or Royal Mail.

I guess if you live in a town or city it will not be a problem but if you work out in the country like me and need it next day I would check which courier they are going to send it with.

As per usual I cannot fault Axminster's great customer service.

Tom

So if they used YODEL....that could be the reason for your de-laee-oh....

Sorry...I really should be sensible and sympathetic but I couldn't resist with a name like that!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don't worry though...I already have my coat on! :oops:

Jim

If I remember correctly Yodel used to be called Home Delivery Service and are part of DHL (who took over the Securicor delivery services a few years back). I recently purchased some kit from Tilgear when they had their sale on and although Tilgear shipped the package very promptly, Yodel pi**ed me about for over a week. First day the driver stuck a card through the letterbox saying there was no-one to take delivery - since my brother is currently housebound receiving medical treatment there was definitely someone in the house. I followed the instructions on the card and requested redelivery to where I work in Aberdeen through their website - didn't happen even though I got an e-mail confirming the new delivery address etc.

On the third day I phoned the 0845 number on their website to complain that when I tried to track my package using the reference number on the card the automatic response was that they had no record of my package. There was the usual press 1 for this, press 2 for something else ( ](*,)](*,)) and as usual the last choice was the one to speak to a human being. I then discovered that the 12 digit reference number on the card was no use for online tracking as they needed an 18 digit reference for that (no mention of that on the website!!). I was then told that they had tried to effect delivery every day but no-one was there and that they couldn't redirect the package to another address. After a few stifled expletives and a comment that I was not impressed by either their service, staff or website I hung up.

On the fourth day I managed to get a phone number for their local depot and spoke to the manager who wasn't much help to start with but once I switched from polite to pi**ed off mode he changed his attitude, especially when I pointed out that their website claimed the driver had attempted delivery about 20 minutes earlier and that I knew there had been someone in the house at the time. Eventually I annoyed him enough for him to drive 25 miles to the area I live in, collect my package from his driver and drive 25 miles back to where I work and hand the package over.

When I opened the package there was a problem with the contents and guess what? - the delivery note stated that claims for shortages etc had to be reported within 7 days of despatch (date of despatch was 9 days earlier). I phoned Tilgear immediately and told them what had happened - got an apology there and then and the problem was sorted out within minutes. The lady I spoke to was very nice about the whole thing and admitted that they were reconsidering using Yodel as a delivery service.

All in all it took over a week from the time they collected my package until they handed it over and they were of little help when I tried to sort things out. I would never recommend that any company use them for a delivery service as Yodel are total cr*p and their website is useless.

Sorry for the long winded rant

If they mess me around tomorrow, the drivers from there who come in on a weekly basis to ask directions for addresses in the village will find me less than my normal helpful self.

Tom

Hopefully Axminster will sort this out - They pride themselves on the quality of their delivery and customer service - I cannot imaging they will tollerate "Yodel" letting them down!

Maybe" YODEL" stands for "Your Outstanding Delivery Everso Late" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rog

Dodge":18ztw7dm said:
Hopefully Axminster will sort this out - They pride themselves on the quality of their delivery and customer service - I cannot imaging they will tollerate "Yodel" letting them down!

Maybe" YODEL" stands for "Your Outstanding Delivery Everso Late" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rog

Good one Rog

Axminster are very sorry and have said they will send any future deliveries by FedEx or Royal Mail.

If the YODEL delivery lot mess me around tomorrow I will get Axminster to send the parcel again and then return the YODEL one when it arrives.

They have just started to use this company on a trail basis and I suspect they will be getting lots of complaints.

Tom

I sent out with yodel a while back on a 48 hour service. The parcels were collected on time but that was where any sort of good service stopped. Like a fool I carried on sending out on day 2 and three and it wasn't until day 4 that the phone started to ring and the emails started come. They really are the lowest of the low when it comes to couriers and I don't understand why a company such as axminster have even let then through the door.

skelph":1m5yypkt said:
On the fourth day I managed to get a phone number for their local depot and spoke to the manager who wasn't much help to start with but once I switched from polite to pi**ed off mode he changed his attitude, especially when I pointed out that their website claimed the driver had attempted delivery about 20 minutes earlier and that I knew there had been someone in the house at the time.
WHY OH WHY do delivery drivers do this all the time? I've lost count of the number of times I've taken a day off work, hung around the house all day, with lights on and the hall door open, doorbell checked to make sure it's working etc. , and got up to look out the window a million times like a meerkat on crystal meth, only for them to sneak up, quietly slip the ticket through the letterbox, and run away. :evil: (hammer)

WHY don't they just deliver the bleedin' thing? They've had to come to the door and write out the card; surely it would be quicker to just do their job? I'm convinced that most of them don't even take the item out of the van at all; they probably write out a heap of cards in advance in a lay-by so they can get home early.

I'm a very placid person, but this is one of the few things that cause the red mist to descend. They nearly always send the driver back after I'm done with them on the phone. Makes me go mental. :twisted:

By the way, I'm sure most delivery drivers are lovely people who are hard working and kind to animals. No offence if you are a delivery driver. :lol: But if you do the above, you are scum, sub-human SCUM! :x

skelph":2zlgx89n said:
If I remember correctly Yodel used to be called Home Delivery Service and are part of DHL (who took over the Securicor delivery services a few years back). I recently purchased some kit from Tilgear when they had their sale on and although Tilgear shipped the package very promptly, Yodel pi**ed me about for over a week. First day the driver stuck a card through the letterbox saying there was no-one to take delivery - since my brother is currently housebound receiving medical treatment there was definitely someone in the house. I followed the instructions on the card and requested redelivery to where I work in Aberdeen through their website - didn't happen even though I got an e-mail confirming the new delivery address etc.

On the third day I phoned the 0845 number on their website to complain that when I tried to track my package using the reference number on the card the automatic response was that they had no record of my package. There was the usual press 1 for this, press 2 for something else ( ](*,)](*,)) and as usual the last choice was the one to speak to a human being. I then discovered that the 12 digit reference number on the card was no use for online tracking as they needed an 18 digit reference for that (no mention of that on the website!!). I was then told that they had tried to effect delivery every day but no-one was there and that they couldn't redirect the package to another address. After a few stifled expletives and a comment that I was not impressed by either their service, staff or website I hung up.

On the fourth day I managed to get a phone number for their local depot and spoke to the manager who wasn't much help to start with but once I switched from polite to pi**ed off mode he changed his attitude, especially when I pointed out that their website claimed the driver had attempted delivery about 20 minutes earlier and that I knew there had been someone in the house at the time. Eventually I annoyed him enough for him to drive 25 miles to the area I live in, collect my package from his driver and drive 25 miles back to where I work and hand the package over.

When I opened the package there was a problem with the contents and guess what? - the delivery note stated that claims for shortages etc had to be reported within 7 days of despatch (date of despatch was 9 days earlier). I phoned Tilgear immediately and told them what had happened - got an apology there and then and the problem was sorted out within minutes. The lady I spoke to was very nice about the whole thing and admitted that they were reconsidering using Yodel as a delivery service.

All in all it took over a week from the time they collected my package until they handed it over and they were of little help when I tried to sort things out. I would never recommend that any company use them for a delivery service as Yodel are total cr*p and their website is useless.

Sorry for the long winded rant

Justifiable rant.

However, when I sent a large eBay package to Spain, DHL were three days over on their stated delivery date. One phone call, and one email confirmation, and I was refunded 75% of my money because delivery had not been met in the stated time. Can't ask fairer than that. :)

I have to say my experience of Yodel has not been good either but fortunately my Axminster order this week came via FedEx with no problems. As to why the slip and no delivery from some couriers, they're on a strictly controlled timetable and it's one of the ways of catching up on time. My son delivers palletised items and only has a few timed deliveries so it's up to him to sort out his route and so forth. Experience also counts as some firms will no accept deliveries at certain times. Last Christmas he came back chuckling; he'd parked up for lunch in a layby with a snack van, chap in the courier van in front of him had been sent out with 170 parcels to deliver that day. Now that would be good going in a town but this was rural Worcestershire. Helps explain why white van man is doing what seems like 200 mph at the wheel of his Sprinter on the motorway.

tony Comber

skelph":xuf677o0 said:
If I remember correctly Yodel used to be called Home Delivery Service ...
Used to be HDNL - Home delivery network.

There were often a lot of complaints about them, their service, they generally charged less than their competitors to get the business, sell low - sell lots, but appeared unable to Deliver (see what I did there?) on service. I prefer to spend a little more for a service I know will do what I pay for.

Hi Tom and everyone,

First of all please accept our apologies for the bad service you have experienced. We are currently trialling Yodel and sending a small percentage of parcels by them every day. We are monitoring their progress very closely and taking action when issues arise.

Your feedback is very important to us and if anyone would like to let me know about current issues they have experience with Axminster orders delivered by Yodel please feel free to email me, [email protected] or call me on 0800 371 822 ext 2039.

Thanks,

Richard.

Hi Richard

Thanks for reply.

Your customer service team were as per usual very helpful, but it did not help that they were told that the parcel was on the van when according to YODEL's website it was still in Edinburgh.

It is susposed to be out for delivery today and we will wait and see if it turns up.

Hopefully all my stuff will come via Fedex or Royal Mail in the future.

Tom

Don't know if this is a Yodel issue but..

Received notification from Axminster on the 23rd saying "dispatched on 23-Aug-11"

Just got another email saying "dispatched 25th via TNT" with a tracking number, did Yodel deliver it to the sender instead of me ..lol

So if they used YODEL....that could be the reason for your de-laee-oh....

You got it right first time Jim, that is all they are good for, on second thoughts they might yodel that wrong. Never ever use them. I waited for I don't know how long, Like Tom says thier was someone in when they say they try to deliver,, I was in the house when they said they tried to deliver to me, asked where the card was hmm went a bit silent.

Told them send it back to the sender as the order had been cancled, lol it came 2 days later, it was sent back via a different courier. Me wonders why.

CHeers

Dave

Home Delivery Network, yep, the one courier I will never have anything to do with again. They have a local collection depot in Southampton, which is actually in Fareham!

Aidan

Always had excellent service from Fed ex and Royal Mail in connection with Axminster deliveries. I have also recently had an email from Axminster asking me to complete a "survey monkey" response about my most recent delivery. I don't usually bother with this kind of thing, but have certainly filled it in this time as I don't relish the prospect of them using lesser quality delivery services.

Mark

Latest posts

Back