Shed Roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken57

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am hoping someone here can advise me about a problem I have with my shed roof.
I recently purchased a professional shed from Elbec which was manufactured by Shire Garden Buildings.
You don't want to hear the nightmare that it has been suffice to say it took 77 days after my CC was debited until I received the shed and now 3 weeks later I still cannot use it for a couple of reasons, one being insufficient glass provided.

Anyway, to the main problem that I am having with Elbec. I am critical of the Apex roof which when fitted creates a V at the ridge as opposed to an inverted V which I think the ridge of an apex shed should be. The actual ridge (peak of the shed if you like) is actually a 5cm gap.

The manufacturer, Shire, has responded that this is the way they construct all their Apex roofs and that as long as I felt over the gap the shed will be waterproof.

My reply was that in my opinion an apex shed should meet at the ridge without a gap and just because all their sheds are built that way doesn't make it correct. I commented that I also consider it bad practice to felt over a gap since any deterioration due to weather changes could create cracks in the felt and allow rainwater to enter the shed.

Difficult to explain the problem without a photo.

Any advice/opinions would be most welcome. Is what I say correct? Now wondering how best to proceed.

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken,
Well... what's 50mm between friends?! :oops:

More seriously, yes, I think 50mm isn't very good either, but then... 'Modern manufacturers' ... etc! :cry:

I've often found such gaps on shed roofs, when putting them up for others. No, I don't think that 50mm is very good, when using the flimsy felt they supply, ~ but here's a few thoughts:

0. Cut yr losses and just sort it out yrself? Sometimes the grief spent hassling with suppliers can all prove too much effort... "Life's too short", et al!

1. Plug it first with expanding foam.

2. Forget the (very short-life!) flimsy felt and just use *Onduline* (corrugated sheeting) and one of their capping pieces to finish off the roof. (The green one is a nicer shade than bog-basic black) ...

3. Better still, combine the Onduline as well as the expanding foam, -- and get the best of all worlds! :D

Hope that helps?

The Fur-ee one.

ken, apart from the obious complaint. do you like the shed ? if yes then do as furtree says, if not get your money back from your c card co. simples.

Hi Ken,
I recently bought a new shed for my allotment and had the same problem with the apex. It's obviously the quick way they 'bang' them out in 2011 - everything is square so you're bound to have a gap at the apex. I made a simple angled fillet to fill the gap and then put a double layer of decent felt over it.
I have to agree that if you like the rest of the shed then you need to sort it yourself as the manufacturer will not be interested and will only offer a refund.

David

Whilst being apalled at such lousy construction work I would cover the roof, (I know, I'm crazy about the stuff!) with EPDM rubber and dump the felt. The gap would not matter then.

Roy.

Back