Sharpening worktop cutting router bits. Do you bother?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Grayorm I get my TCT saw blades sharpened by these people http://www.weldingshop.co.uk and have had rebate and straight router cutters done as well. Don't be put off with the welding site they DO sharpen and re-tip blades and cutters :) They are up the M60 in Oldham but may collect / deliver if you
have a few things for them. Geoff

Giff":2k60gn0s said:
Hi Grayorm I get my TCT saw blades sharpened by these people http://www.weldingshop.co.uk and have had rebate and straight router cutters done as well. Don't be put off with the welding site they DO sharpen and re-tip blades and cutters :) They are up the M60 in Oldham but may collect / deliver if you
have a few things for them. Geoff

Great stuff thanks Geoff

I have a jig that uses a 19mm cutter which are not cheap so i sharpen them on a diamond stone. Most of the cutting is done with a 1/2 '' trend RT11 bit which has replaceable carbide blade and then just take off the rest with the 19mm cutter.Because the RT11 blades are screwed on they are harder than a cutter thats brazed on and they stay sharp for longer. Plus they are double sided so can be turned around when one edge gets dull. Buy titan or trend 19mm bits and because i am only taking a fine skim of the tops they last a good while at least 10 joints .

Cheers Bern :D

Berncarpenter":11latgt9 said:
I have a jig that uses a 19mm cutter which are not cheap so i sharpen them on a diamond stone. Most of the cutting is done with a 1/2 '' trend RT11 bit which has replaceable carbide blade and then just take off the rest with the 19mm cutter.Because the RT11 blades are screwed on they are harder than a cutter thats brazed on and they stay sharp for longer. Plus they are double sided so can be turned around when one edge gets dull. Buy titan or trend 19mm bits and because i am only taking a fine skim of the tops they last a good while at least 10 joints .

Cheers Bern :D

Thanks Bern. Mine uses a 12.7mm bit but worth thinking about.

I don't have a credit card one but I do have the bigger 3x7" one.
It's not ideal for it but it works to an extent.
When I start using my router more, I will invest in a small diamond stone.

For the cost of new bits and the price of sharpening, it's worth spending the £15 on the small credit card diamond stone.

When I got my woodrat, I got some HSS bits from them, the idea being they are easier to keep sharp.

With them Martin included a credit card diamond sharpener.

I would doubt very much that it will make any real difference to the diameter of the bit until you've perhaps sharpened 50 times.

So I think one should sharpen rather than buy new ones.

Latest posts

Back