sharpening with a tormek T7

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a sports car and drive it as such you wear the rubber tyres out at a few thousand miles.
If you have a Tormek you wear out the wheel at a few hundred profiles?

I have come into possession of a set of Henry Taylor turning chisels, these are carbon steel, will they groove the Tormek like the HSS tools do?

Where is that Tormek demonstrator on this forum, cannot he clarify the Tormek position regarding sharpening turning tools, and what to expect?

devonwoody":2cdfaap1 said:
If you have a sports car and drive it as such you wear the rubber tyres out at a few thousand miles.
If you have a Tormek you wear out the wheel at a few hundred profiles?

I have come into possession of a set of Henry Taylor turning chisels, these are carbon steel, will they groove the Tormek like the HSS tools do?

Where is that Tormek demonstrator on this forum, cannot he clarify the Tormek position regarding sharpening turning tools, and what to expect?

MR WOODY

As already said , you CAN sharpen on a Tormek ,
BUT its best to re shape to the profile you want on a grinder , AVOID turning the chisel ends BLUE ( Getting Hot ) by dipping in water often

My Advice for what its worth if you can , sell the Tormek :roll:

and buy a

SORBY PRO EDGE :p I Like the pro edge LOTS :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gives repeatable angles very easy , new belts are bout £4 and last ages

Use the Green zerconi belt for re sharing , and the pink ceramic belt for sharpening

Belt changes done in 10 seconds ,

And you don't need a grinder

I love my PRO EDGE :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqoq5EXv1J0

:wink:

Blister":7egvv2uv said:
AVOID turning the chisel ends BLUE ( Getting Hot ) by dipping in water often

Need to clarify that Blister.

Quenching Carbon Steel Chisels is OK as far as the steels concerned, but best to avoid getting them hot in the first place as you can end up with incorrect hardness/temper state on the cutting edge. (either brittle or soft)

Quenching HSS tools that have got anywhere near Blue will stand the risk of damaging the structure on the thin cutting edge and they will develop micro cracks wich will cause them to loose their edge quickly. (fail as though brittle)

HSS will cut and be sound up to nearly Red heat so a blue caste is not the end of the world but once again getting them to this state is best avoided.

If you can keep finger contact near the edge being ground and hold off the wheel when heat is felt you should never get to this state.

CHJ":1hi6tzj5 said:
Blister":1hi6tzj5 said:
AVOID turning the chisel ends BLUE ( Getting Hot ) by dipping in water often

Need to clarify that Blister.

Quenching Carbon Steel Chisels is OK as far as the steels concerned, but best to avoid getting them hot in the first place as you can end up with incorrect hardness/temper state on the cutting edge. (either brittle or soft)

Quenching HSS tools that have got anywhere near Blue will stand the risk of damaging the structure on the thin cutting edge and they will develop micro cracks wich will cause them to loose their edge quickly. (fail as though brittle)

HSS will cut and be sound up to nearly Red heat so a blue caste is not the end of the world but once again getting them to this state is best avoided.

If you can keep finger contact near the edge being ground and hold off the wheel when heat is felt you should never get to this state.

I AVOID turning any chisel blue , Full Stop :wink:

I use a Tormek, a SuperGrind 2000.
It is the best way of sharpening turning tools for me.

Because you need more patience than I have to (re)shape a tool on the Tormek, I built a simple holder to use the Tormek jigs on a common grinder.
I read Tormek is trying to sell an imitation.:wink:

This is what I use.

Hans

Latest posts

Back