Sharpening Stuff Tray

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
I don't know about you but if I don't keep my sharpening stones and associated paraphenalia close at hand and ready to go I find any excuse NOT to sharpen my tools. If the stones are set up ready to go it is no effort to keep tools honed and sharp. But if you have to get the stones out of the drawer, hunt around for the honing guide, etc, I put it off for as long as possible. And lets face it, a blunt tool is dangerous (and is more work to restore when you finally get sharpening :lol: )
But the downside to keeping your sharpening stuff out on the bench is you lose yet more space. And space is ALWAYS at a premium. DAMHIK :wink:
So, to a solution.
(I apologise for the construction methods-if you expecting fine dovetails look away now)
A piece of MDF and some offcuts of pine. A table saw and the air nailer. And what are we left with? Ahh....Norm would of been proud of me :roll:
2006_0717sharptray0120-large.jpg

2006_0717sharptray0121-large.jpg

As you can see I managed to get most of my stuff in there. The front of the tray has a lower lip to act as a stop on the front of the bench. When I'm finished I slide it back under the workshop.
2006_0717sharptray0123-large.jpg

So a useful little project-20 minutes to make and used up some offcuts I was going to throw away. Go on-give it a try!
Cheers
Philly :D
There are some larger images here....
http://philsville.googlepages.com/sharpeningstufftray

Nice one Phil. I do the same and it really helps with the sharpening - I don't mind a quick hone these days :wink:

Phill - agree entirely, though all my stuff (DMT) is mounted permantly on a seperate sharpening table. A cover for your tray might be a useful thing to add (apologies if youv'e already made one, if you have I'll go away and suck an egg) - Rob

Rob
I was thinking og making a cover-but as it lives under the benchtop I'm hoping it will be o.k. without. Only time will tell :lol:

Nice to see you favouring the quick hone Tony :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Back