Sharpening for the masses..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Wingate":3bjlrt0s said:
I use an old Eclipse guide, an older Stanley and a modern Dakota bought cheaply from Axminster..

How do you get on with the Dakota Guide?

SurreyHills":1nxbw615 said:
So I think that you shoudl look at some form of booking out/int system for sets of tools.

I think that idea is good in essence but in practise it would become unmanagable with the amount of time and the amount of students we have, there would be bottlenecks at the beginning and end of each session.

I think what we are moving towards is more of a checklist, such as we have when I take them through machining exercises in that they are observed performing the task and then checked off as being competent. I think this approach would better highlight what is going wrong and where we can improve things for everyone.

I really like the Dakota guide (being discontinued at Axminster). It keeps the guide off the stone, so less cross contamination, as the stones are all the same height on the sharpening board there are no inconsistency probs. I like the solid side reference edge. I dislike the colours. It works better than my old Stanley 200 as it is easier to adjust and I can now use the full length of the 8" stones. I use a Sharpenset at school, really efficient if doing a run of blades.

Sharpenset is new one on me. Looks good. Video here. Woodwork tools about half way in.
I think that's it - either tool up to industrial quality, or tool down to everyone doing their own, the old fashioned way. Or both of course.
Tormek and jigs perhaps the worst of both worlds.

How much are they? I couldn't find a price. Various attachments needed too.

Jacob":p0k10zex said:
Sharpenset is new one on me. Looks good..............Tormek and jigs perhaps the worst of both worlds.

So why is one good and the other bad? The only difference is the orientation of the wheel.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1vib5mog said:
Jacob":1vib5mog said:
Sharpenset is new one on me. Looks good..............Tormek and jigs perhaps the worst of both worlds.

So why is one good and the other bad? The only difference is the orientation of the wheel.

Paul
Horizontal wheel is good. Flat is better than hollow ground. Seems to be self flattening via the toolrest and modus operandi. Looks "industrial" quality - generally better made and more solid.
I've never tried either of them but I thought the Sharpenset looked like a good upgrade which might actually increase productivity.

Jacob":xicxfvr9 said:
Paul Chapman":xicxfvr9 said:
Jacob":xicxfvr9 said:

Paul
Horizontal wheel is good. Flat is better than hollow ground. Seems to be self flattening via the toolrest and modus operandi. Looks "industrial" quality - generally better made and more solid.
I've never tried either of them but I thought the Sharpenset looked like a good upgrade which might actually increase productivity.

How do you intend in dressing the horizontal wheel. Work of the high spots :lol: ?

woodbloke":1tms6xqd said:
Jacob":1tms6xqd said:
I've never tried either of them
...'nuff said :roll: :roll: - Rob
It's called "an opinion" Robbie. I thought this was clear. Pay attention!
Have you tried either of them yourself?

LuptonM":3hrvx0ez said:
How do you intend in dressing the horizontal wheel. Work of the high spots :lol: ?
Looking at the video it seems to be self flattening, as I said above.

Well its basically the same thing as Dakota sells http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-po ... ne-grinder

I think this type of grinder has gone out of fashion. The vertical whetstone is now preferred over the horizontal one. There is probably a good reason for it and I believe it is because the stone will go out of shape after a while and it cannot be dressed like the tormek style grinders.

Anyway Jacob I thought you had a sorby pro- edge

LuptonM":24ridzda said:
Well its basically the same thing as Dakota sells http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-po ... ne-grinder
Yes, a heavy built industrial version
I think this type of grinder has gone out of fashion.
If so then good reason for believing it is probably OK. Seems to be "fashion" which causes a lot of woodwork problems!
The vertical whetstone is now preferred over the horizontal one.
:lol: :lol: Who says?
There is probably a good reason for it and I believe it is because the stone will go out of shape after a while and it cannot be dressed like the tormek style grinders.
Watch the vid
Anyway Jacob I thought you had a sorby pro- edge
I have. So what exactly?

The Sharpenset was all the rage several years ago until people realised it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Still, Jacob thinks it's good so it must be :lol:

Paul

Back