Sedgwick Table Saws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris72

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any opinions about sedgwick table saws?.Everybody always seems to rave about wadkin but i've never seen any comments on sedgwick.i've seen a couple and they do seem very solid looking.
Chris

Chris

I've got a Sedgwick 16in rip saw. It is what it is - basic, fairly agricultural, but accurate and dependable (what Sedgwick is known for). I was looking for a Smith's turret saw or something like a Wadkin BSW or BSS when this came up at the right price....... The Sedgwick tilting arbor saws I've seen seem in the same mould (mine doesn't tilt), but I reckon you'd pick up an AGS12 or a Startrite TA/SP275 quite a bit cheaper secondhand, although only a post-1980 (circa) will have a decent fence bar on it (the earlier ones and TA/SPs had a fore and aft clamping mechanism which is not as good).

Scrit

I have a Startrite TA 275 at the moment with the for an aft clamping system.I havnt had any problems with it so far,actually, I thought it was rather good.Can you shed any more light?.Thanks for the morticer reply by the way

Hi Chris

Two issues, really. Firstly in order to get a short rip fence like that show in HSE information sheet no. 16 (here then select Machine Safety/Circular saw benches: safe working practices PDF - woodworking information sheet 16) you'd need to build a jig - so OK, I'm probably being lazy-minded and evenf you do you'll need a second jig to get the high/low fences normally found on modern panel saws, etc. Secondly older AGS/BGS saws and Startrites I've seen frequently have sloppy fences (through wear) which can be a bit of a faff to square-up and lock. The later single point design used on the AGS and Sedgwicks (and, incidentally on the Startrite TA/SP300) is just quicker and easier to use and the fact that the fence plate slides in and out and can be either a high fence (for ripping) or a low fence (for panel sawing) is an added bonus. If you currently have a TA/SP275 and you're happy with it, why change? Unless you need deeper ripping capacity, perhaps?

Scrit

Ah!
My fence has a short guide bolted to it which is removable,which I exchange for another taller guide where nessasary.I think the saw which I bought must have had an easy life cause the fence locks up extremely solidly and square.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Chris

Chris

For a good article on this subject see this article by Barb Siddiqui and Richard Jones (who is known to drop in round here on the odd occasion)

Scrit

Latest posts

Back