Securing gazebo roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCamo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

I am planning to pit a monopitch roof on my timber frame. Ordering oak rafters in and will use 15mm ply boards on top of the rafters followed but box profile roof sheets. What is recommended to secure the whole thing into the timber frame below?

Thank you

Jon

Attachments

• 20230227_081750.jpg
    20230227_081750.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
You could use coach screws to fix the rafters to the framework ( you'll want to use a spade bit to sink the heads in, allowing for a socket to fix them off ) then screw the ply to rafters. Id consider painting the ply sheets black ( or something ) all around before fixing on the ply, both to protect and colour....

You could use coach screws to fix the rafters to the framework ( you'll want to use a spade bit to sink the heads in, allowing for a socket to fix them off ) then screw the ply to rafters. Id consider painting the ply sheets black ( or something ) all around before fixing on the ply, both to protect and colour....
Thanks Baldkev. Yes intend to paint the ply

Why box profile?
Tiles, synthetic slates or felt tiles would look much better imho.

Our lumberyards sell big screws that will easily hold your rafters down. They replace lag bolts and have a slimmer diameter. Can buy by the box or individually at the lumberyard. I'm sure you have the same or equivalents. Log home builders use them to hold the roof together.

Eg. https://www.amazon.ca/GRK-RSS388HP-...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== You'll need to get lengths that suit your job. Driven from the top they won't show unlike metal clips.

Pete

Our lumberyards sell big screws that will easily hold your rafters down. They replace lag bolts and have a slimmer diameter. Can buy by the box or individually at the lumberyard. I'm sure you have the same or equivalents. Log home builders use them to hold the roof together.

Eg. https://www.amazon.ca/GRK-RSS388HP-...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== You'll need to get lengths that suit your job. Driven from the top they won't show unlike metal clips.

Pete
Thanks Pete, will take a look

UK has Timberfast screws same thing excellent just used a few fixing two 75mm square fence posts to each other, they drive in easily and are tight come in different lengths recommended

You may want to consider greasing the threads of whatever screws you use when you drive them in.
Bitd before cordless drills, my dad would always grease threads so as to save the muscles, beeswax being the obvious choice being a beekeeper!!

Hi

I am planning to pit a monopitch roof on my timber frame. Ordering oak rafters in and will use 15mm ply boards on top of the rafters followed but box profile roof sheets. What is recommended to secure the whole thing into the timber frame below?

Thank you

Jon
If you are using ply and corrugated sheet you don't need rafters you only need one bearer across from side to side set in flush, or two at a pinch.

I think id use rafters..... not sure of the wind profile in your garden, but in mine it'd take off so more weight and fixings for me

Back