second hand tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boabbruce

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any second hand tool shops near Walsall/Biringham or even online for that matter?
I am looking to buy a couple of planes as per the advice on here :)

cheers

Don't know the area, so I can't help there but I've found Ebay to be a good source of second hand planes. As ever with Ebay, it's buyer beware but there are bargains to be had. I got a Stanley No. 4 1/2 for a couple of pounds plus p&p. You do need to be patient and don't bid over the odds. It isn't unusual for a used Lie-Nielsen plane to go for higher than the retail cost of a brand new one. That said, there are lots of good, old Stanley and Record planes going for reasonable money.

This is the current selection on offer.

Wiley Horne":gsr5y1cu said:
I think they have a lot more stock on hand than what is shown in their featured listings.

I've been in there a couple of times recently and can confirm that they have a lot more stuff in the shop - some of it is very nice :wink:

Cheers,

Paul

Penny Farthing are very good, but don't expect bargin basement, stuff in there is sold at the going rate - Rob

visit the big tool auction at the bardon hall hotel nr coalville. dont bother with the international auction only the national. the stalls outside are also good. cant remember the name now. i have brought job lots and picked the good bits out. these tools are often well fettled and of course usually superior to the modern equivalent.

johnnyb":2kywsxw5 said:
visit the big tool auction at the bardon hall hotel nr coalville. dont bother with the international auction only the national. the stalls outside are also good. cant remember the name now. i have brought job lots and picked the good bits out. these tools are often well fettled and of course usually superior to the modern equivalent.

Don't know that one, but I attend the car park at the Tony Murland auctions; these are heaving with tool dealers.

http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images ... ge_id=5302

Now, the nice thing about these people is that they REALLY like dealing in the fancy and rare; which mean mundane stuff like user grade Ward and Payne chisels, they're not interested in, so they have them by the boxload, at fair prices.

Similarly normal Bailey pattern planes are (at a venue like this) a bulk commodity item.

etc.

A starting galoot could do very well for an initial "working set" at a place like this.

BugBear

Back