SDS drill chuck adapter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpfn140378

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Does any one know why we are not suppose to use a keyed sds drill chuck adapter in the hammer option in a sds drill? 

rpfn140378":2u803659 said:
Hi guys. Does any one know why we are not suppose to use a keyed sds drill chuck adapter in the hammer option in a sds drill? 

Makes no sense to me either but applies to every sds I've owned.

But why would you want to :? If you need hammer action you put in an sds drill bit which is what the tool is for. The only reason for a chuck (I have one I've only used once), is to drill in to soft materiels that don't require hammer.

Bob

Not built to take the forces involved in sds hammer action I would imagine, and probably damage the piece of the chuck adaptor that seats in the sds chuck, or damage the drill bits themselves which again aren't designed to take the sds action/forces ?

I use one occasionally in my makita sds, but only if I want to use normal twist drills or masonry drill bits on normal rotation but with the extra torque from the large drill motor.

Cheers, Paul

I didn't know you weren't supposed to and so I have used the adapter in my sds on hammer, but to very poor effect and stopped bothering. My impression was that the extra mass of the chuck reduced the effectiveness [damped] of the hammer action, resulting in very inferior drilling when compared with an ordinary mains power drill. There's been no detrimental effects on either the chuck or the drill, but then I didn't do it many times before I realised it wasn't worth bothering.

Lons":3vkm7juj said:
rpfn140378":3vkm7juj said:

Makes no sense to me either but applies to every sds I've owned.

But why would you want to :? If you need hammer action you put in an sds drill bit which is what the tool is for. The only reason for a chuck (I have one I've only used once), is to drill in to soft materiels that don't require hammer.

Bob
The reason why I asked is because I got plenty of masonry bits which I was using with my old ordinary drill. When I bought my SDS Hitachi I bought a nice Makita set of sds bits, but I also would like to give some use to the old bits. As I'm hunting for a cordless drill as well I  might use the bits with the cordless one. Thank you 

Kills the chuck, I've done it a acouple of times over the years swearing that the chuck was cheap rubbish until my brain decide to work and I realised that x amount of newtons and key/keyless chucks don't mix.

hi i have done it for awhile it works ok but the chuck comes lose and needs to be tightened more than you would normally .
but like has been said it is maybe not a good idea. :oops:
pip

Latest posts

Back