Scroll sawing should be relaxing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauriceD

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought scroll sawing was meant to be relaxing! As I said in an earlier post I enjoy cutting out names and small phrases but have had a lot of problems with the pin less blades. I fit them through the small drilled hole for the internal cuts and all is well for a couple of minutes when BANG, the blade comes out of the bottom clamp which also decides to shoot out across the workshop floor and the machine tries to shake itself to death until I stop it.
This is giving the old ticker a jolt, and I could do without that every 10 minutes. Today it took multiple attempts to cut four small internal holes in the word Masters. I gave up and went back to the pinned blades. The pin less blades are a lot thinner and I would prefer to use them but I don’t know if the ticker will hold out!!!

Hi Maurice. Without a doubt pinless blades are the best, you have a vast choice to choose from but with the pinned blades your choice is limited and the blades tend to be a bit on the course side. What scroll saw do you have. The reason I ask is that a guy next to me at an event I attended had a cheap saw and the smallest blade he could fit was a numner 11, anything smaller and the blade would snap as soon as he turned the saw on so basically any internal cuts were out of the question so all he made during this event was crude jigsaws of up to 10 pieces. Another thing is the make and quality of the blades you are using. If you are using blades that came with the saw I would throw them away for nine times out of ten they are rubbish. You can buy Flying Dutchman blades, Niqua blades from Hobbies and you can get Pegasus and Olsen blades, all very good and all have their devout followers. Sometimes we get a bad batch of blades and there will be many breakages but it's not the fault of the scroller.

The saw is an Axminster AWFS 18 trade saw. The problem is not breaking blades but the blades pulling out of the bottom clamp. I have cleaned the ends of the blades and tightened them up as much as the screw will allow but all to no avail. I have changed the top clamp to one off a Hegner and this does not pull out.

I don't have the AWFS 18 but it looks to be a copy of the Hegner and the blade clamps look identical to me, does your blade clamp have the little grub screw on the clamp opposite the main clamping bolt? If so have you tried adjusting this? I have the Hegner and it's very rare indeed for the blade to come adrift from the bottom (or top) clamp.

I can understand how frustrating this must be and it should not happen, if you don't have the adjustable grub screw mentioned above I would suggest trying a new lower clamp or give Axminster a call.

I have fitted M4 screw in handles to my AWFS18 blade clamps and no problems clamping.....you can get plenty of leverage with the handles to nip it up tight unlike the grub screws which i was worried about chewing the allen key slot up.
My handles/levers have a 4mm 15mm long thread and screw all the way through the clamp and i just slide the blade into the slot and tighten.

Typical, since I posted my comment above pointing out that it's rare for the blade to come out of the bottom clamp it's been happening to me today several times whilst doing a lot of internal cuts and as you describe not only is it damn annoying it also makes one jump!

BTW ignore my comment in my post above about the grub screw in the lower blade clamp, it doesn't have one I was getting confused with my Diamond saw which does!

I know what you mean. I count using my scroll saw as an extreme sport and ever so slightly terrifying. I know the blade coming out won't tear my hands to shreds, but it still gives me a coronary every time. I go through a blade per 20 minutes or so. Seems like a lot, but it's amazing what you can get done in that time!

I've got better at it though, and when I do get a blade snap it's almost always something I'm doing wrong. I always have to make sure the blade is aligned by manually moving it up and down and seeing if it drifts. Plus I have to be sure I'm not being impatient and forcing the wood into the machine before it can cut it. There's probably other things I've not learned to do yet too, so I live in hope.

Just been scrolling some more 15mm oak and BANG! nearly jumped out of my skin! lol yep managed to snap the blade approx 10mm before the finishing cut Grrrrrr I think its the sound that does it so next time i will use ear protectors so i can't hear it :cool:

I'm glad that I am not the only one who jumps out of his skin when the blade comes out. I have a dicky ticker at the best of times. I think the machines should carry a government health warning that you should have a nubile nurse on standby in case it happens!!!

Oooooh Matron great idea Maurice! lol Babs Windsor in her early days would be fine...... Carry On Scrolling!

Maybe the clamp is polished after a few slips? Is it worth removing the pin and roughing it a little with a file?
Its only an idea i have no expertise on the matter

MauriceD":5aoxi9pa said:
I'm glad that I am not the only one who jumps out of his skin when the blade comes out. I have a dicky ticker at the best of times. I think the machines should carry a government health warning that you should have a nubile nurse on standby in case it happens!!!

You are certainly not, I have been fretworking for over 50 years and it still 'shocks' me when a blade snaps or comes out of it's holder, it's not just motor powered fretsaws either I used to jump just the same with my treadle machine and even using a hand-frame it is alarming when a blade brakes.

Back