Scroll Saw Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another handy item yes/no.....thoughts please

Attachments

• image_23220.jpg
    image_23220.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 356
To your 2nd pic - for me YES (I have one very similar). Essential at my time of life.

Re the stool, it wouldn't suit my back, I have difficulty sitting in any bar-type stools, but that's just me. If you don't have a problem, a lot of people scroll standing up.

AES

AES":3t4m38a8 said:
QUOTE: "I use an old office typist's chair (NO arms) .......... UNQUOTE:

Yeah, right, thanks Brian.

(BTW, within the next few days I'll be sending you a PM - that should slow you down a bit!!!!!!!!!!).

AES

Edit: To xiphidius: Yes, good idea, try as many combinations as seem reasonable to you before finally "casting in concrete" (now THAT would be a solid saw table)!

AES

"(BTW, within the next few days I'll be sending you a PM - that should slow you down a bit!!!!!!!!!!)."

Sounds interesting :?:

Blister":2n5w7406 said:
scrimper":2n5w7406 said:
I built my tables in the form of cabinets with casters so they can be moved around easily plus give useful storage space, although they look lightly built they are in fact heavy the frames being made of recycled 3"x2" timber, they also feature useful drawers to store those valuable Hegner accessories!

In spite of their light appearance I do not get any vibration even with the Diamond which a less than smooth saw to use.

Do you use these standing up ?

Depends what I am doing, if it's intricate fretwork I use a high office type chair if its something quick and simple I stand, the saws are a comfortable height either way.

xiphidius":1496wikh said:
Another handy item yes/no.....thoughts please

A light over the saw is essential (IMHO) I do have one like your picture with the magnifier but I do find it quite hard cutting when using the magnifier, I only use it for really delicate work.

I just seen this idea whilst perusing another section. I looks very good, using perhaps old industrial metal pipe and fittings coupled with a home made wooden seat plate or butchered old stool.
The whole table could be constructed with legs incorporating this methodology, having the added bonus of being able to bolt it to the floor for stability and vibration dampening. With the stool arm section having the ability to, perhaps, swing under the table/bench when not in use (a kind of space saving facility)....I like this. (if its feasible) 8)

Attachments

• stool.png
    stool.png
    246.3 KB · Views: 322
Looks like a good idea mate. If poss, rig up a mock up (old boxes with a circle of wood on top?) and see if it suits you personally?

I have an old height-adjustable draughtsman's wooden stool (as well as my 'armless typist's chair) with a "softly inflated rubber doughnut" on top of that (because of my back) and that's OK for me. Always a good idea to try stuff out before a final decision.

Cheers

AES

xiphidius":2biw3wdx said:
Good Idea to me and may give it a go if I can source the parts locally for a paltry sum lol.

I`m sure I have seen those kind of metal swing out seat at a motorway service station on the M6 hmmmmmmmm might visit them again and take a socket set and some spanners lol
I think its a very good idea though and suppose you could make similar with wood.

Brian

Back