Hegner Scroll Saw Speed Control

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frhodes

Reaction score
I have just taken up scroll sawing so I am a complete beginner, I have purchased a second hand Hegner Multicut 2 single speed, and now think I should have done a bit more research before I made the purchase.
until I gain some experience I am finding the saw to fast for my ability, would any member have any advice as to attaching a speed controller to the machine or should I persevere until I can handle the speed, any advice will be much appreciated.
Frank

Take lots of scrap wood of various thicknesses and just cut. Any shapes, trying different TPI blades, till you get the feeling of cutting. Do NOT push the wood into the blade, let the saw do the cutting.
Try some 90 degree turns.
You soon find out if you are cutting too fast, the blade then assumes its own mind and that can be a mess.
My small very old multicut is 1 speed.

Those saws are powered by induction motors, speed control is not straightforward on that style of motor. It isn't something I would try jury rigging except as a project in its own right.

If you want speed control my only practical suggestion would be to get in touch with Hegner and see if you can get the parts to make up a conversion kit as spares. It'll be easily three figures given Hegner's spares pricing, if that route is possible and you go down it I would ask you come back here and report on your experience, I don't have a Hegner myself but I'm sure there would be plenty of interest.

As for coping with the speed your only alternative method of slowing things down is finer blades but the finer the blade the more prone they are to break which is the other issue as a beginner.

I suggest the best way to go is simply more practice in scrap wood. Be aware the way most blades are made causes them to drift to the side. Don't try to fight that, you simply add strain to the blade and make things less controllable. Rotate your work instead, so the bias is pulling the towards the line as you feed the work into the saw.

Thanks for the replies they have been very helpful, to upgrade my Hegner with Hegner parts would not be cost effective it would be cheaper for me to by another second hand scroll saw with speed control. I think both of your replies suggest that I do more practic, well I have spent all morning making cuts and I have taken your advice and I'm amm getting some good results, maybe I don't need to control the speed. A question for Jaco can you still work very fine details at the one speed.
Many thanks for your help. Frank

Frank, the answer is yes.
Patience, a steady hand. The more TPI blade the quicker the cock-up.
ajs reply is very valid.
I tend to cut all my thin (3mm to 10mm) stuff on the small multicut. External and internal cuts.
Thicker I will move to the Polycut which is belt driven and I generally run at the slowest speed.
Just keep your fingers far away from the blade just in case it breaks. It does more than just puncture the skin.
Also keep the fingers tight and steady. You will not cut the finger off, unless you deliberately and willingly do it. It is a lot safer than the RAS, table saw, bandsaw.
My hand slipped and the finger went straight into the blade. Bad cut, far too close to the bone, lots of red stuff and dark blue air. :mad:

If you pop over to yonder site Here there are lots of posts with my cuttings.

I bought an old Hegner multicut-3 back in February, it has a single speed motor on it.
Just as Jaco stated, get a variety of scrap wood and blades and just start cutting. Start with simple patterns and lettering, before you know it, you'll be cutting like a pro.
Have a Good Day.

I bought an old Hegner multicut-3 back in February, it has a single speed motor on it.
Just as Jaco stated, get a variety of scrap wood and blades and just start cutting. Start with simple patterns and lettering, before you know it, you'll be cutting like a pro.
Have a Good Day.

Many thank for advice, yes I have started cutting and getting more confident. Many thanks Frank

I have a Multicut 1 single speed. In the beginning i had struggles with it but using a floor switch it all works great. Both hands on the project is the best. Yes it can cut fast but only if you push your project fast.

Sounds good I'll give it a try, is it a Hegner switch or a after market one?.

A cheapy from Amazon. Costed €12, the Hegner switch costs €99 here in Holland.
I only had to make some connectorts on the wire if the switch.

I'm not sure, (not a Hegner owner) but I THINK I read on here some time ago that when someone asked Hegner if it's possible to convert a single speed to variable speed, their answer was no. Probably member scrimper will know for sure.

True, Hegner says you need a complete new motor for variable speed.
And the Cumquats part is that every cheap ass Aldi or Lidl scrollsaw has the variable speed!

I am a bit late here but as has already been stated if you want speed control on a Hegner saw you have to buy one which is equipped with that feature, you cannot add an external speed control to them as they use induction motors.

The only way that I know of having your model fitted with speed control is to have a new motor fitted with a controller and because Hegner charges massive amounts (IMHO) for spare parts it would cost in excess of £500 which is obviously not worth doing.

Induction motors are the best as they are very reliable, very smooth running and mostly vibration free, Saws fitted with universal (carbon brush motors) are very easy to control which is why many makes use them but they tend to be noisier, vibrate more and are not as reliable as induction motors.

Having speed control is good to have and I always recommend buying a variable speed saw if possible, variable speed is especially useful for beginners to the hobby but many people manage perfectly well with single speed saws and once you become a little more accomplished you would be fine with single speed.

Put it this way if I had to choose between a decent quality saw with an induction motor and no variable speed or a model with a brush motor and speed control I would choose the former every time.

Go with the aftermarket, that way you can pick up a splitter and hook up the shop vac to go on and off at the same time with the scroll saw.
Have A Great Day.
Many thanks thats a good idea, I have now purchased one but am trying to sort out wiring. Frank.

I am a bit late here but as has already been stated if you want speed control on a Hegner saw you have to buy one which is equipped with that feature, you cannot add an external speed control to them as they use induction motors.

The only way that I know of having your model fitted with speed control is to have a new motor fitted with a controller and because Hegner charges massive amounts (IMHO) for spare parts it would cost in excess of £500 which is obviously not worth doing.

Induction motors are the best as they are very reliable, very smooth running and mostly vibration free, Saws fitted with universal (carbon brush motors) are very easy to control which is why many makes use them but they tend to be noisier, vibrate more and are not as reliable as induction motors.

Having speed control is good to have and I always recommend buying a variable speed saw if possible, variable speed is especially useful for beginners to the hobby but many people manage perfectly well with single speed saws and once you become a little more accomplished you would be fine with single speed.

Put it this way if I had to choose between a decent quality saw with an induction motor and no variable speed or a model with a brush motor and speed control I would choose the former every time.
Many thanks, I have been practicing all my cuts now and seem to have mastered the single speed, I just slow down when I need to. I think I will fit a foot switch I think it might be an advantage. Now Im getting used to my scroll saw lm enjoying the hobby. Frank.

Sounds great!
Have a lot of fun with it and keep experimenting.

I forgot one important tip: If the scrolling goes to fast then you can go for a less agressive blade and/or a lower number.
Example: Skip tooth blades are more agressive as regular blades.

Last edited:
Sounds great!

I forgot one important tip: If the scrolling goes to fast then you can go for a less agressive blade and/or a lower number.
Many thanks I have been using hegner no. 5 standard blades and seem to be doing fine, I appreciate I need to try different blades I have been practicing on ¼" 3/8" and ½" timber various types, Frank.
Sounds great!

Back