scroll saw blades for my diamond fretsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a old Diamond fretsaw and was wondering what blades would you recommend i use for a beginner thanks Mock

I don't know the Diamond fretsaw, but the type of machine doesn't dictate what type of blade to use - assuming it's the standard 5 inch blade, which 90+% of all machines use.

In this Section of the Forum there's a sticky containing a number of download tables, one of whch tells you in a general way what blade to use for what job - that IS what determines which blade to use.

There are also download tables with info from various blade manufacturers listing what blades and what sizes are available, plus comments as to where you can buy what blades.

I'd strongly suggest you start there as that will get you started until you develop enough experience to make your own blade choices to suit you and the work you do.

HTH

Last edited:
I have a old Diamond fretsaw and was wondering what blades would you recommend i use for a beginner thanks Mock
You might find my videos covering the Diamond fretsaw of some interest, I do cover the subject of blades in the videos. The machine is unique in the variety of blades you can use, even lengths of old bandsaw blades can be utilised. Pehaps have a look at the videos for more info.

Part one is here

Last edited:
The Diamond scrollsaw will take pinned or pinless blades , also coping ,junior hacksaw or bandsaw blades cut to fit .
It wlll also take longer than 5” up to 7” easily
You can also rotate the blade holders to accommodate longer than the throat!

@mock: The tables etc, I refer to above cover ALL the blades mentioned by others above - junior hacksaw; coping; etc; etc¨.

There you go mate, "the world's yer lobster"! :)

pinless blades do i need to change the connectors if so any idea where i can purchase these thanks mock

Well mock, if, as the guys posting above do know the Diamond saw like they say - and why doubt them - one assumes that if the machine takes both pinned and pinless blades, then it's already equipped to do just that! (Just like my Excalibur for example).

Of course, you say it's an old machine, so perhaps you bought it S/H? Then it's always possible that there are parts missing on your particular machine.

But have you watched Scrimper's vid (above), about the Diamond saw?

I haven't myself, but "knowing" the level of detail one usually finds in Scrimper's vids I'd be very surprised if the answer to your question isn't there somewhere.

pinless blades do i need to change the connectors if so any idea where i can purchase these thanks mock
No. There are two kinds of blade holders for the Diamond, the most common one will take pinned or pinless blades but is arguably a little awkward when fitting pinless blades. The other is pinless only and easier (designed for blind scroll sawyers!) but those are rare, I don't recall anyone here having come across them.

Personally I tend to keep mine fitted with a 24tpi coping saw blade for general use and only swap if the job requires it, although that probably says more about me than the saw. It's the default saw in my workshop and gets used for lots of stuff other than typical fretwork. The nice thing about the Diamond is it has the sheer grunt to be viewed as e.g. a band saw alternative for a lot of jobs but typical scroll saw blades are a bit delicate for heavier work.

No. There are two kinds of blade holders for the Diamond, the most common one will take pinned or pinless blades but is arguably a little awkward when fitting pinless blades. The other is pinless only and easier (designed for blind scroll sawyers!) but those are rare, I don't recall anyone here having come across them.
I have both types of Diamond blade holders and I show both types in my video, but as no one here seems to watch my videos The holders for 5inch standard fretsaw blades are Type 7 holders whereas the all purpose quick action blade holders are called type 6. Unless requested at the time of purchase the universal type 6 holders were supplied as standard and not the type 7 holders, however type 7 could be ordered instead of the type 6 or as an optional extra.

Unless you can find 2nd hand type 7 holders they will be difficult to source as sadly the man who invented and manufactured the Diamond passed away and the saw ceased production. A great shame as he had planned some excellent improvements to the machine including a quick tension release which I myself requested. It is a well made machine but had Doug Woodward (inventor) lived it would now be a superb machine.

scrimper thank you for the reply i bought the machine second hand and yes i did watch your videos and they encouraged me to keep the machine and see if i can sort new belts for it and of course pinless attachment thank you and whom ever else replied to my questions mock​

Latest posts

Back