Scheppach Deco SL Scroll Saw after market blade clamp?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slarty

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently picked up a Scheppach Deco SL Scroll Saw second hand, as has been noted else where on this forum feeding the blade through for internal fretwork is 'fiddly' to say the least. I recognise this is a entry level scroll saw but I picked it up for a bargain price so I can't complain (to much) but I was wondering if anyone was aware of an 'after market' blade clamp system or a DIY modification that would improve the situation?

Hi all, I recently picked up a Scheppach Deco SL Scroll Saw second hand, as has been noted else where on this forum feeding the blade through for internal fretwork is 'fiddly' to say the least. I recognise this is a entry level scroll saw but I picked it up for a bargain price so I can't complain (to much) but I was wondering if anyone was aware of an 'after market' blade clamp system or a DIY modification that would improve the situation?
I am not conversant with this saw but it looks like a 'bog standard' blade fixing used on a multitude of economy scroll saws, (many are the same but in different colours and names) so I think that it would be easy to buy blade adaptors to fit so you can use normal plain fretwork blades. With a little ingenuity you can even make your own. I discuss this subject in my video Choosing a Scrollsaw. links are on my website
https://sites.google.com/view/scrimpers-fretworking-site

Many thanks Scrimper - the video's were very informative & helpful (& you've gained a subscriber) & there looks to be a huge amount of information on your website which I've bookmarked to revisit and have a read through.

The scheppach saw I have does indeed use the pinned blades but also has some clamp adapters for pinless blades however experimentation to date shows these are quite a pain in the proverbial to connect & disconnect - I have some ideas to modify that may do the trick & I'll post the results back if they work however the quick tension release on the Hegner seems to be a modification I won't be able to make that provides a lot of the value.

Many thanks Scrimper - the video's were very informative & helpful (& you've gained a subscriber) & there looks to be a huge amount of information on your website which I've bookmarked to revisit and have a read through.

The scheppach saw I have does indeed use the pinned blades but also has some clamp adapters for pinless blades however experimentation to date shows these are quite a pain in the proverbial to connect & disconnect - I have some ideas to modify that may do the trick & I'll post the results back if they work however the quick tension release on the Hegner seems to be a modification I won't be able to make that provides a lot of the value.
Thank you so much for your kind comments about my videos and website, It means a lot to know you found them of interest. :)

I have a Charnwood 16F and last year bought the EZ blade holder set from Frank Pozsgai pozsgaidesigns.com which should work on the Deco SL. He states that the system works on the Deco 405.
Unfortunately he is based in US and does not do international deliveries but I was fortunate as I have a family member living over there.
There are a number of videos on this system. I hope this helps.
Eric

Unfortunately he is based in US and does not do international deliveries but I was fortunate as I have a family member living over there.
There are a number of videos on this system. I hope this helps.
Eric

Are there any members who live in USA?
Deliver to them to then forward to UK.

Thanks all for your responses - I've spent the day fettling with quite good results for a simple fix - I added a small piece of plastic that effectivley holds the blade hanger in place stopping it from falling off when the blade is released from the top hanger - I've inlcuded some pictures below which will hopefully be of some use to anybody else with this challenge.

Now if I can just work out the size of the grub screws in the hanger I can replace one of the top ones with some form of Thumb screw - does any one have any ideas how I work out the size of these? they seem to be fractionally larger than a M4.

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Back