Screwfix and Toolstation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
In the last year I've bought a fair bit from both and found that I had a load of stuff that I wanted to return. I've mixed and matched purchases between the two in the past although in the future I will now lean towards Screwfix because .....

Some of it was outside the 30 day return period. I was hoping for some flexibility in the form of a credit note maybe - clearly a refund would be out of the question and not asked for.

Screwfix - no problem. I now have in-store credit of around £50

Toolstation - basically told me to sod off.

Its interesting that two companies who are part of the same group ownership behave so differently and often have outlets very close to each other.

My error double checking I've now discovered the ex owner of Screwfix set up Toolstation after he sold it, just shows you should check your information even if it comes from a normally trusted source.

Andy K":dcqecq4r said:
Its interesting that two companies who are part of the same group ownership behave so differently and often have outlets very close to each other.

Are you sure ? I thought Toolstation was now owned by Travis Perkins and Screwfix by Kingfisher

I love screwfix, I just wish they were more competitive. All their power tools seem to be 10% or so more than online. But to be fair, they have all the stores to run.

I first dealt with them 35 years ago, buying screws from a piddling little advert in Exchange & Mart. I always found they were way overpriced on about 10% of their stuff - usually the very heavy stuff as obviously you're getting caught for the cost of delivery, but with all the local depots that's a thing of the past, really. I tend to work the theory now that 10% of every firm's goods are overpriced - they all have to make money somewhere - it's just up to me to find the 10%s.

I find them both usefu,l but screwfix has got the cheapest Triton TRA001 I've been able to find by about 30 bucks

Fish based puns are making me chuckle :)

Toolstation for all nails and Coach/lag bolts as they are so much cheaper.

F.

I also found out about screwfix's "out of date" credit system when I happened to mention I was buying something as a replacement for something else (8 hinges in this case for a job that got delayed) I'd bought before that was the wrong size.

"no problem she says, bring them in - we can check the sale against your account and give you credit".

It's also extremely handy that they opened a new store at the bottom of my road less than 1/2 mile away, but I do still use toolstation for thier £10 free delivery on occasion, and they open until 5pm sundays.

Back