Scotch Brite Grey

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the maroon grade with copious amounts of WD40 to clean up planer/drill stand tables. Leaves them like new. Straight lines only when rubbing in line with direction of travel (obviously not with the drill stand!!)

I believe white may be the finest or not abrasive at all, yellow is 1200, grey 600.

it depends on the brand. not all stick to the colour scheme!
below is Scotch (edit the two finest are the wrong way round)
20230218_190216.jpg
below is the micromeshpads I use on handles / scales
these are too soft of an abrasive to use on very hardwoods / metals aside from perhaps aluminium copper etc as part of a polishing process.

This link tells you that even with the same manufacturer the colour schemes vary depending on which micromesh I'm talking about!

20230219_122927.jpeg

Edit again - just also wanted to link to these guys as their flexible adhesive PSA abrasives are great for polishing anything up to hardened steel; if it clogs up you can just rinse it off. all the way up to (or down too :oops:!) .5micron for a polish on metalwork / synthetics - you can even make your own spindle sander by wrapping around a radius / large dowel rod (hand-thrust driven :p though!)

there are abrasives for any material out there - from AlOx to SiC based to C (diamond ;)). sometimes difficult to access via usual woodworking (workshop heaven does them though). searching for jewellers / watchmaker tools or glass polishing sometimes brings back more product types.

20230219_124546.jpeg20230219_124649.jpeg

and great for sharpening too but that's a whole other discussion!

Last edited:
Back