Wood plinths - some questions/can anyone on here supply?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedoublem

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help and also point me in the direction of anyone on here that might sell plinths.

I am a sculptor and trying to find the most suitable type of plinth for some small sculptures made from gypsum. The plinth required measures approx 13cm long x 7cm wide. I recently purchased a sample on ebay which was a double chamfer and realised I might of made the wrong purchase as I believe a traditional ogee could be the best fit for my pieces.

I'd like to ask what people think is the most suitable type of wood / colour to compliment high end gypsum sculpture that is grey (almost concrete like) in colour.

Im also gluing the sculpture to the wood base. Is there a recommended adhesive to use for gypsum plaster and wood?

If anyone can supply suitable plinths then please let me know as looking for regular orders.

Can you post a picture or drawing of your requirements, probably quite a few people on here that could/would be able to help, me included.

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help and also point me in the direction of anyone on here that might sell plinths.

I am a sculptor and trying to find the most suitable type of plinth for some small sculptures made from gypsum. The plinth required measures approx 13cm long x 7cm wide. I recently purchased a sample on ebay which was a double chamfer and realised I might of made the wrong purchase as I believe a traditional ogee could be the best fit for my pieces.

I'd like to ask what people think is the most suitable type of wood / colour to compliment high end gypsum sculpture that is grey (almost concrete like) in colour.

Im also gluing the sculpture to the wood base. Is there a recommended adhesive to use for gypsum plaster and wood?

If anyone can supply suitable plinths then please let me know as looking for regular orders.
I would be a little unsure of the joint strength with glue and gypsum. It would be better to include some kind of mechanical connection in to the gypsum

Can you post a picture or drawing of your requirements, probably quite a few people on here that could/would be able to help, me included.

thanks for the reply. I'm away from my studio until after xmas so can't take pictures but it is just a standard flat rectangular base plinth say anything from 15mm-20mm in height. The approx size would be 70-75mm width and 130mm length. I'm just looking for a wood that would compliment a concrete coloured sculpture that will be attached to the plinth probably via adhesive as the base of the sculpture will sit directly onto the top of plinth. I hope that makes sense without seeing any pictures. I can possibly get a picture uploaded next week.

I'm just looking for a wood that would compliment a concrete coloured sculpture...

There are 2 1/2 aspects to your question: the type of wood; the finish applied to that wood and the grain direction (because the plinth is rectangular).

Maybe (in conjunction with someone on here) try to obtain samples of various wood species, and apply bands of various finishes to them. Then sit them alongside the sculpture and see which looks best.

Unless you are very careful, the adhesive joint may be difficult to make in a way that it is both strong and invisible (so it does not draw attention to itself). The mechanical connection suggested above is a more practical solution. At worst, it would involve embedding a threaded insert into the base of the sculpture, drilling a hole through the wood base and inserting a screw from below.

thanks for the reply. I'm away from my studio until after xmas so can't take pictures but it is just a standard flat rectangular base plinth say anything from 15mm-20mm in height. The approx size would be 70-75mm width and 130mm length. I'm just looking for a wood that would compliment a concrete coloured sculpture that will be attached to the plinth probably via adhesive as the base of the sculpture will sit directly onto the top of plinth. I hope that makes sense without seeing any pictures. I can possibly get a picture uploaded next week.
A sketch on a piece of paper?

As grey is not technically a colour then it would be difficult for any colour of wood to look bad. I'd probably suggest sapele or oak as they are very traditional timbers found in the home and are reasonably priced for hardwoods and readily available. As mentioned above a mechanical fixing would be much better than adhesive because squeeze out will look bad, adhesion may be an issue and it could also affect the finish. Maybe look for a local furniture maker or something near you and see if they're willing to let you raid their scrap bin for samples.

Have you considered using painted MDF as a plinth instead? With the right application of finish a very smooth texture is possible, it's cheap, easy to machine, completely flat and you wont be limited on colours.

Back