Printing onto small thick wood plaques

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedoublem

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to print a basic design onto some small square wood plaques measuring approx 13mm x 13mm (depth 18mm). The design is mainly white with some small text and 1 other colour, so I'd be painting the wood surface with an acrylic white paint.

I currently print onto thin wood using a special heat transfer process and get very good results but it only works on thin natural wood. The transfer paper is not made to work on painted wood and also anything over 1cm depth is too thick for my clamp heat press.

I recall in another post that some people mentioned success with waterside decals. Can anyone give any further details as to the most suitable to use and any reputable suppliers in the UK?

Would decals be appropriate for the likes of painted mdf wood? I've also had suggestion for trying decoupage but not sure if this is the type of finish I'd like since it's a little rustic and the finish isn't always completely smooth. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be greatful to heat them.

I've used waterslide transfer paper printed on a laser printer - works fine on painted surfaces - you need to leave the transfer to really dry (several days) and then mist coat with 2 or 3 passes of an aerosol lacquer (Halfords car stuff works fine) - the transfers also work on metal.

BTW - do you mean 13MM - that's very small - or 13CM?

Back